Struggles of sobriety

Hello everyone! I’m new here and today is 71 days sober.

My boyfriend is an addict and isn’t sober. It’s hard to watch him do this in front of me and NOT want to use. I also had a recently tailbone injury and my brain keeps romanticizing the drug use. I just started a new job in the last 3 weeks as a care giver and my client picks me apart everyday (is an alcoholic)

I feel like every aspect of my life is testing me and I’m TRYING to maintain my sobriety.

Anyone else struggling and need to vent? I’d love to know I’m not alone. Or even advice. I’m trying to leave the relationship despite my love for him.

12 Likes

Welcome Rachel.
Congratulations on your 71 days sober. That’s great stuff!! And with addict for a boyfriend. Even harder to do. I know. My wife still drinks. And I’m sober now. It wasn’t that hard for me at first. Or at least I didn’t think it was but it’s been difficult lately. So I’ve been going to Al-Anon meetings. Those meetings have been life savers. Just knowing I’m not alone and learning from other people’s experience strength and hope.

We also have a thread around here for people who are affected by a loved one who is an addict.

Being active here in this sober community has been one of my strongest tools in my recovery. The lights are always on. You’re never alone.
Have a good read around. Join in when you’re comfortable.
:pray:t2::heart:

5 Likes

That’s so great for your 71 days and still being around that environment has to be hard, specially with a recent injury but so proud of you for staying strong in your sobriety! I’m 5 days sober from alcohol today and I’m also a caregiver/Med technician I’ve done it for 10 years off and on (all types of care) and clients can be hard to deal with, if they are picking you apart and they are hard to be around whoever your employed with, speak to them and see if they can get you another client.

I also am learning to walk away from a relationship with someone I love so deeply, once called him my soulmate. It’s so so so extremely hard and quite literally hurts your heart but we have to remember that we are our own people and we deserve to be loved, respected, specially we deserve sobriety from ourselves and from our partners. It’s not something you can force on anyone (though I sure wish I could sometimes) you’re definitely not alone in this ! Once again hell yeah on your 71 days so freaking cool! :sunglasses:

3 Likes

71 days is impressive good job. I dont think i could be as strong as you have been. I am on my 5 th or 6th day 3 in like 4 months. It sounds like you are definitely being tested and i hope you continue to stay focused.

3 Likes

Congratulations on 71 days!!! Thats great :clap: Sounds really tough being in that situation and around people who stiill using. Not a position I would want to be in especially my first few months. All this is already a big enough struggle.

2 Likes

Your doing amazing, sounds like you have really turnt your life around.
Congratulations :balloon: