This could be my last post

Saint Patrick’s day is today! You are really gonna do this today??? I’m happy to start our journey from Monday if you like? I haven’t had a drink but the last thing I want is to put you under ridiculous pressure lol x let me know what you wanna do x

1 Like

Just dooooo it!

3 Likes

OK let’s do it. How long have you done up to now?

2 Likes

Well @Success?

2 Likes

You name the rules, I’ll oblige :)…anyone else in?

It wouldn’t be fair, I never drink!

1 Like

That was another night with no alcohol. I really wanted a drink last night- I don’t think there has ever been a Friday night when I haven’t had a drink, but I did it! I drank tea, coffee, lemon in water instead!

Now I just have to get through a Saturday night where I know my partner will be drinking. This is going to be the hardest ever for me.

4 Likes

Hey @Brave, congratulations on kicking Friday’s arse! I promise you that’s the worst one out of the way (barring other factors of course).
So - Saturday!
Just remember that once you do it - and YOU CAN - every future Saturday becomes progressively easier, until it’s 'just a Saturday’
You’re going to have to face this crap straight on in order to overcome it. And you know you can, you just did it yesterday.
You need to rewire these trigger situations to work for you not continually against you.
Yes, you can avoid some triggers, but sometimes you’ve got to just walk straight in and beat it. ONCE. Then you break it’s spell!

4 Likes

Thanks @Charlesfreck. I’m busy looking for non alcoholic wines ( that actually taste like wine and not sweet pop) just in case I relapse. I like (d) dry white wine or pino noir before. I don’t like sweet things so I’m needing a bit of luck finding something x

1 Like

I was just thinking about this earlier…I keep wanting a beer and was wondering if get some non alcoholic beers that would help when I’m craving…or if it will make me want a “real” beer even more…

I think i might start making smoothies or something instead lol

1 Like

Hi @Jen_lou I am a bit scared of that myself but I’m trying to cover all bases. This is only my first week so I know I’m still in the habit. I’m just trying to have a back up plan to see if I can get through it until I can totally break the habit. I might be totally wrong on this one but here goes.

1 Like

Yeah same here it’s only day 5 for me …so I really don’t know what works either…the theory is there fingers crossed it helps :blush:

1 Like

I’d definitely do what you’re doing and get some research in online first, checking reviews, etc. @Brave. It seems the majority of NA wine is awful. I never drank wine so I wouldn’t have a clue!
Opinion seems split on the forum about NA, some regulars say it works for them, some say it’s a temptation.
It’d be great if it was possible to ‘switch minds’ with yourselves for a minute so you could realise that it’s a veil of bs you’ve got in front of you at the moment (like we all had), and once you can start racking up those sober days, weeks, months (one mountain-climbing day at a time!) It all falls away and you remember who you were again.
You CAN do this tonight - and nip back to the forum if you start to wobble a bit!

3 Likes

Sweetie, it’s an illusion either way. I guess, if you genuinely like the taste of beer go for it.

You can’t trick your own mind, until you know who your really tricking! I know that sounds like an ancient Chinese Proverb.

4 Likes

Thank you. I will do that. Fingers crossed. X

2 Likes

Yeah anything is worth a try,I might even find them disgusting and give up on the idea lol

2 Likes

@Jen_lou have you looked at the research thread? If not, go check it out. I’ve read a few books, watched videos, how to’s, alcohol hypnosis on you tube, etc

The only real reason you have a craving is because some part of your mind thinks it’s important. But is it important? Does it add value to who you are as a person, and who you want to be?

I wish I could say no for you!

I’ve never watched someone buy a 12 pack of soda and put it next to there chair sit down, and just drink it in an hour.

5 Likes

I haven’t but I will go have a read now…I don’t know why I keep craving every now and then…I hate alcohol now for what it does to me and I know if I don’t leave it alone now it will be too late to keep going I will lose everyone around me

2 Likes

‘Craving every now and then’ isn’t a bad place to start getting better from @Jen_lou. Imagine waking up and immediately knocking back the equivalent of a quadruple of seriously strong spirits just to get out of bed. That was me. Nearly 4 months later, I find the idea laughable. You just need to put as much time between you and the booze so ‘drunk brain’ can be laughed at, rather than taken seriously and acted upon.

4 Likes