Tired of hangovers

I have been binge drinking since my early 20’s at first it was fun. Now that I’m older I just do it on the weekends most times I drink until I black out at home. I keep it hidden from my family because I’m so ashamed, but at time I have gone to family functions and gotten so obviously drunk that im embarrased the next day. I drank alot yesterday and woke up with a hangover again today i get so angry but i feel like i cant help myself , it’s a craving I can’t explain. I am using this app just to vent I have never admitted my problem to anyone but I want to stop

5 Likes

I’m in the same boat. Really nasty hangover today. I’ve been thinking for weeks, even months I just have to stop, but I just can’t get rid of the cravings. I can manage two nights, but by the third I feel like I deserve a drink. I’m just going to aim for a week to begin with and go from there. Small steps and all! The guilt is the worst thing!

2 Likes

I hear you I know by next weekend the craving will kick in again it’s nice to know im not alone, and I’m trying the one day at a time thing as well good luck

1 Like

Good luck to you too

Good luck you can do it…when you want it enough it gets easier

2 Likes

Hi @Vane225 and welcome to the forum. :wave: Congrats on taking the first big step.

Note that this forum is also available outside the App from any browser at talkingsober.com

Here is a useful thread on getting through early recovery:

(Surviving Alcohol Withdrawal/Early Sobriety Techniques)

And recovery-related links that members have posted:

(Different Aspects of Recovery)

The cravings go away, I promise. You can get sober, one day at a time. One thing I love about being sober? No more embarrassing moments like that. You don’t have to wake up the next day worried about what you said, broke, lost, who you offended, if there is evidence…(pictures).

I was tired of being hungover and crawling out of my skin all the time too. Sobriety is worth it!

4 Likes

Thank you i know these next few days are going to be rough for me , do you have any suggestions for what to do when a craving kicks in ??

Extra sharp white cheddar cheese!!! You laugh…but I’m serious :smile::grinning::blush::smiley:

2 Likes

this sounds very much like me!!! have only told 2 people that I feel I have a problem cos I know I’m ashamed of myself
I almost always drink til I blackout and wake up every morning with the dread of what I might have done whilst drunk, have only just joined myself but feeling better that I have, seems a very supportive group xx

1 Like

Anyone have any tips on how to get rid of cravings? Or how to get out of tempting or stressful situations?

Ice cream can help with cravings as we crave sugar when we stop drinking

1 Like

You are not alone in that feeling im glad to have found this group myself I never thought I would tell anyone.Going on my second full day sober by tomm the cravings will probably begin to set in :worried:

1 Like

I’m still on day 1 but just feeling massively guilty and anxious today, it helps to know your not alone, I find it all too easy to sit and drink 2 bottles of wine whilst watching tv at home and it’s easier to hide in that respect
stay strong and just take one day at a time xx

1 Like