Waiting to get emotions back

6 days in. I’ve relapsed multiple times, and one hard part I always experience is feeling empty and emotionless. Like, I have the emotional range of a telephone pole. Does anyone ride experience this?

1 Like

Don’t know what ur DOC is but evidently, as I am finding the answer seems to be yes.

1 Like

Alcohol is my number one. Coke comes second. I just feel aimless. I’m attending groups and hitting the gym to try and fill my free time though.

Remember, it is one hour at a time one minute at a time if need be. Keeping yourself busy is a good start. For me would also remembering about why I was doing this was a big thing to lean on when I had nothing else.

Yes. I am like Spock when drinking. When beginning sobriety, it takes me a week or so for the emotional centers of the brain to start firing again. Right now, the pleasure-centers of your brain are looking for something, that it’s no longer getting. Takes some time for them to wake back up and start producing endorphins, or reacting appropriately to conditions.

1 Like

Thanks. I should also note, while I was in active addiction, I was not taking my prescribed medicines. I have since been taking them, and I hope they will resume taking effect very soon.

1 Like

I am a veteran as well. I seen that in your bio. How do you make a bio?

There’s a little pencil icon which allows you to edit things, including your bio.

Thanks. What branch were you in?

Give it time too, sir. A fee months may be necessary to really get everything 100% out, and equilibrating to a life lived on reality can take time. Just do today. Then do the today after that.

1 Like

@Browne… I like that statement. “It takes time to adjust to living in reality”. That hits home.

2 Likes

Sorry… I changed the verbage a bit. And @Steve_O_Horsley, I’ve been through the emotionless stage many times. The others are right. It will pass. Honestly… I would rather feel nothing for awhile than the absolute ball of hellfire emotions while being my normal alcoholic self.

1 Like

Hey Steve, first off thank you for your service🙏🏻

Secondly, I’m day 32 today (alcohol and cigarettes…and cocaine when I could get my hands on it)
And it definitely took me about 2.5 weeks to start to come out of the fog. I did ALOT of tv watching…and feeling blah (I don’t take any medications…but by blah I mean…really tired, headaches and body aches, inability to be motivated and just generally dull and lifeless)

I’m still really happy I stuck it out. Things are starting to normalize. My energy is coming back. And things are starting to make me…happy. Life is seeming like a lot less of a burden.

Here if you want to talk. Keep fighting the good fight…

2 Likes