Where do I begin

As the topic says, where do I begin, hopefully with stopping what I’m doing. Hi I’m Terry been using cannabis now for 15 years, and while it’s better then the opiates the doctor gives me, like any you have to keep on watching what you’re doing with it. I’ve not and my life is out of control as a consequence.

This forum looks awesome all I wanted was a counter to count my days, and this has done that and so much more. Its been on my phone for about s week now and I’ve had to reset 3 times, rather then take this as a negative, I see it as a sign to saying starting again is easy.

Mr actual story consists of a car accident that left me with an arm that didn’t work causing extreme pain, but my is spiralled out of control with the loss of my father in law to suicide, and Persistently cheating ex, 11 operations in 9 years, 3 kids, struggling to find work and losing myself. Everyone said 2016 was a bad year, but I lost my dad in January this year, to a short cancer battle (he was chopping wood in Christmas day), and now in his honour I’m on this site, I know I could have gone the other way, my family was scared I would but I’m using the pain of loss to drive me to succeed, scared the rest of my family are turning to alcohol (but that’s OK its legal, is what they tell me).

I have hobbies to distract me, I fly quadcopters, and I’m trying set that up into a business this year, and gain my licence (have to be sober for that job). Think that’s it whether I win or fail I’m not give up tomorrow is another day

6 Likes

I’m sorry you had to go through all that. It’s easy to think you “deserve” to drink or smoke or whatever your vice because of problems and stress but it’s a lot harder to do what you’re doing and face the problems head on. Good for you for being strong and saying no to those things that harm you. You can do it! Sending hugs

2 Likes

Welcome @Fearnox. Thank you for introducing yourself and telling your story. As you’ve already seen…we heal, we vent, we seek advice from eachother, we tease eachother, we have fun.

Hi @Fearnox and welcome to the forum. :wave: Congrats on taking the first big step.

Thanks for sharing your painful story, and the loss of loved ones. Think of what your father and other lost loved ones would want for you and your future. I lost my mother and sister 2 weeks apart, and always keep that thought in my mind. But in the end sobriety will only work if you want it enough for yourself.

Here is a useful thread on getting through early recovery:

(Surviving Alcohol Withdrawal/Early Sobriety Techniques)

And recovery-related links that members have posted:

(Different Aspects of Recovery)