1.5 yrs Sober from Heroin

:black_heart: Hey, I’m Mia. 22yr old artist/ pet sitter from Atlanta. This is my first time really tracking my sobriety so I wanted to post. I thought it was about a year but I’m shocked and hyped that it’s over a year and a half (1 yr 8 mo)! I was using for maybe 3 ish years, started senior year in high school. Many ER visits, many near death overdoses, this is the longest I’ve been sober and the first time ever that I wanted it that way and don’t see myself going back. It’s insane I survived so I think there has to be a reason for that. I’m not at all religious, just spiritual so I think the universe knew it wasn’t my time and I have more life to live. I never thought I’d live this long, I never thought I’d ever be sober. Ive struggled with multiple mental illnesses since a child and since about age 10 I knew I’d never live to see college, but here I am 22 and (basically lol) healthy! I wish you all the best, just remember that sobriety is different for everyone and that it’s extremely hard but worth it, I didn’t think it would be but it was. I’m not strict on my sobriety with other substances, but that’s because I don’t really use any other besides the couple times a year I go to a party lol. Some say suboxone isn’t sober but I disagree, it saved my life and I’m able to live in a way I haven’t lived since elementary school. I plan on stopping it soon, but know that it’s ok to get help medically if you feel you need to.
Feel free to ask questions or message me for advice, I went from the lowest anyone could go, closest to death you could get, and I’m alive and doing what I love. I’ll do my best to check my inbox! :bow_and_arrow:

16 Likes

I’m 42 and currently working on my Bachelors degree, never count yourself out of earning a college degree. I’m so proud of you for staying sober. Your amazing for being able to make it through your addiction. It’s only up from here for you.

3 Likes

Thank you! I know, feels weird I feel a little lost because I never planned what to do with my time or life at this age so I feel like a kid almost. But I have good support and I’m not being hard on myself for taking it slow. Just enjoying being a human. Congrats yourself

1 Like

Hi Mia,

I fail to keep track of my sobriety days as well I become to obsessed so I decide to let it flow, my tracker tells me

As far as the suboxine no suboxine debate I personally argue it,

Is it prescribed by a physician?
Is it taken as prescribed?

If that’s the case your not using it for recreational purposes I call that sober,

I received similar flack because I was on Adderall for ADD, but my doctor took me off of it for fear of dependency, but people would say I wasn’t sober because I take a drug prescribed to me, AA/NA isn’t a physician based group my mental and physical health is decided what’s best for me by a physician not a group of recovering addicts

2 Likes

I am so proud of you! That is nothing short of incredible. Keep on pressing on friend! :grinning:

That’s craziness dude!! Killin the game!!! Love ya