100 days sober - my story

Hi all, Happy New Year!

So a rambling post from me and I think the point of it is to offer some hope. To me, and to anyone who it may help.

I’ve been drinking for 25 years. It started as a social thing and became something I just do during the majority of my free time. I don’t class myself as an alcoholic but I struggled to go a day without drinking. I wouldn’t drink to the point of blacking out but it’s fair to say my consumption is increasing. If I tried to not drink in the week it meant I drank harder at the weekend. It doesn’t stop me functioning, keeping my job, looking after the house and my two kids. But, with retrospect, it makes me less present for all of these things and makes me grumpy and angry at myself as a result.

As I write this I question my judgement that I’m not an alcoholic! But, the trigger for me trying 100 days sober were many. Probably the clearest is the disturbed sleep, accepting it’s ok to wake up with increased heart rate, hot and with a headache. And looking physically grey and washed out.

So, I stated to my wife that I was going to do 100 days sober. The idea seemed impossible. How could I if I could barely go 1 day without! The first few days were hard, I have routine and passing the beer by when I would typically have reached for one was hard. I filled the gap with positive stuff. At first, just not drinking was the goal. If it meant sitting in front of the tv all night, that was fine. Just don’t drink!!

After about a week I started to feel physically better. My wife said my skin looked healthier, I slept better, I was more engaged with my family. It was good! The majority of my social life revolves around drinking. I had dates in the diary and, one of the reasons I have never had a break from drinking, is this sense I don’t want to let people down by cancelling pre-arranged social events. So, I decided to stick to my commitments but didn’t drink. At first I said it was so I could drive. But after a while I was honest, and I told my friends I wasn’t drinking for 100 days. Almost without exception, everyone was supportive.

Around 30 days in things were great. I felt well, I was smashing my challenge, awesome. Then I picked up a usual illness that any parent of two young kids gets. It took the edge off me feeling great, but it was ok. Just disappointing, as I expected to carry on feeling better and better.

By day 60 my new routine was to not drink, so the idea of drinking seemed alien. Up to this point I’d been counting down to day 100. By now, the end target barely mattered. I was just amazed that I was doing it. I was also amazed how easy I found it! I was disappointed that more in my life hadn’t radically changed, but I began to realise it’s more about my mindset than anything else. And not drinking gave me the opportunity to have a positive mindset more easily, which helped me to change.

My 100 days ended on Christmas Eve. I was in two minds whether to have a drink but inevitably I did. And what happened…

I went back to exactly how I was. I struggle to go a day without drinking again. I’m tired, more grumpy, less engaged with people. On my Fitbit my resting heart rate is up, my sleep quality is down. Why do i drink!? Not sure. I love the buzz of that first couple of beers, but I hate everything else.

So, I started another 100 days yesterday. I recognise that my personality is all or nothing so I don’t think I can be a social drinker. Any rules that I impose on myself just don’t work. I’m not ready to accept reality which is that 100 days actually needs to be sober forever. But I’ll get there.

The point of my post? I guess it’s therapeutic for me to see reality on a page. I also want to try and give others hope. That feeling of owning my challenge, having will power, seeing positive change was way better than the buzz from the first two beers. Wish me luck, I suspect this is the start of the journey rather than the end but I’ll get there. Life without beer was definitely better.

I also note that as I drink my gambling comes back, I’m looking at new cars, I’m restless and unsatisfied generally. So, in my case, drinking is probably the cause of many of my problems and if I can take that out of the equation it’ll help me to focus on the other stuff much more easily/clearly I think.

12 Likes

The good thing is you learned something :wink: First of all you know you can do this! You did 3 months! :tada::tada::tada:
And the second thing learned: you can’t have just one occasionally. Recovery is a learning process and you are doing it! Welcome here and thank you for sharing! 🙋

Welcome to this place. I hope you can find what you are looking for. I don’t label myself as alcoholic. Not in public. I rarely do this when it comes to my diabetes. And still I know it from the bottom of my heart, from the downside of a plugged catheter, your body does not produce insulin and no matter what people say, ahhh reduce catbs, move more, no I know, w/o Insulin an Typ 1 diabetic will die quickly.

And with alcohol the same. I know when I would take that road again no matter what people try to talk me into or a part of my mind, it would end badly.

1 Like

Hello!!!

Thank you for sharing, your story resonates with me, except for that I have been on the carousel at the 30 day mark, I think once the realisation is made that one or two is not an option and the whole thing not worth it, we have completed a fair portion of the struggle!

This time I am reading! Lots! I have a backlog of books about sobriety to get thru… Also be hobbies! At Christmas I learnt to crochet, I now play an instrument and I love doing jigsaws! The future is good for us.

Thank you sooo much for sharing, this is me to a “tee”. Giving it another go for the umpteenth time but like you, reading reading reading more, listening to podcasts, on this site as much as possible. My husband even said yesterday he’s noticed this time I seem different about it.
I know I’ll have cravings, already have, but I feel like I have a few more tools this time.
Thanks again for sharing and we can do this!

Welcome Steve! It’s nice to meet you and I hope to see you around the forum
:wave:

Thank you so much for sharing your story. It sounds like you made a good choice going back to sobriety and having a goal seems helpful for you.

For myself, I found that while sobriety was incredibly healing in a myriad of ways, I also needed to examine the WHY of my drinking in order to heal more fully (that is my recovery). Many people do just that thru working a program, a more structured way of healing. Therapy is also an avenue for examining and healing our underlying reasons for escape. Something to consider. :heart:

I feel like you just wrote my exact story. I did the same as you… promised myself 100 days just to see what it felt like. What improvement I could see. Then around day 120 of my first major attempt at quitting I gave in. Thought maybe I had tamed it.

Toook me a good couple years to shake it again. I can tell you there are more benefits to come if you continue on past 100 days. Im over 2.5 years and I still see benefits. I think most of now comes from my better mindset and be able to grow and learn without the cloud of alcohol.

Thank you for sharing your story. It is one that will ring true for many.

1 Like

Welcome! The stigma and label of being an “alcoholic” holds some people back from quitting. Don’t let it. Just do what you have been doing. It doesn’t need a label. Great job, by the way!!

1 Like

This is my story, too. I did about 3 months dry a couple of years ago but drank again at a friend’s wedding and got right back into it. On day 6 now. Feeling good, but will need support. This is my first post on here. Thanks for sharing. Your story encouraged me to actually log in and create an account rather than just reading…

2 Likes

Tony - thanks, that’s awesome that you’ve joined!

Thanks to everyone for the encouraging words, this is a very supportive group!

Thank you for sharing!
My goal is 100 , but i think if i drink again, I’ll go straight back to the spiral down hill that i always do after i take a few weeks off. I guess I’m an all out nothing person also. I love the buzz & just keep going. I get crazy hangovers - way worse then anyone else i know even if we drank the same amount. It sucks. The pain, the hiding from my spouse how much i drank, or if i drank etc. It’s really not worth it. I know I’m a goal person, so 100 is good. I’m almost half way. But i think it needs to be longer, just not how to help myself understand that. Forever is insurmountable. So just not drinking “right now” seems to be working. Even though it’s always “right now”. :joy: Funny trick that one!

2 Likes

Restlessness and unsatisfied. Sooo very true. Those are true words. For me complaining about EVERYTHING is also truth when into the bottle