11 days sober and I'm still terrified

Just wanted to share that I’m 11 days sober and still terrified. My wife is so angry with me I’m afraid that I’m going to get divorced and my son won’t get to see me. I know I made a lot of mistakes and I most recently put my family in monetary financial ruins. I started AA last week but she doesn’t care right now about my health, just her son and I understand that. I recently picked up a second job but I’m being told, I need to pick up a 3rd job as well. I cannot change the past but I’m really afraid for my future.

14 Likes

These are very crucial days . I’m going to one day hi my name is Rachel and Iam an addict I’m so proud of you that’s great 11 days your sobriety will be scary at times but so much worth the worth all the way around I promise what u got to lose can always refund the misery. U really need to focus on just you sound selfish but if you don’t people usually don’t stay clean u must come first!!!

4 Likes

Congratulations on your 11 days Swift.
It’s difficult to leave the wreckage behind. Just do the next right thing. Don’t pick up! Go to your meetings. Go to your job. Check in here if when you can. Head over to the gratitude thread and write down your blessings that you have when you’re sober.

Read other people’s gratitude. It’s an amazing tool. Gratitude is. Reach out for help. If your brain even thinks of picking up reach out for help. Get a phone list at AA.
Just for today we will not pick up. That’s all we got to do. You, me, everyone else on here. Just for today. Nothing else matters.
:pray:t2::heart:

6 Likes

Hi, yes we ruin not only our own lives with our addiction :sweat: But If you build up your own life you are doing the same for your family as well.
So push trough and try to focus on today.
What helps me to be in today is this:

Proove your wife and son you be better is all you can do. And give them time, they have gone trough a lot.
By doing good today we make a better future.

6 Likes

Be kind to yourself, accept that others need time to gain trust again, stay on your sober path and take it ODAAT. Babysteps in the right directions sum up with time.

5 Likes

Welcome aboard, and know you are not alone. It’s hard, I know, to not be worried about the damage that has been done, and what the future may hold, but this really is a journey we have to take one day at a time. Sending you love and strength.:heart::pray:

2 Likes

Welcome, Rachel. Glad you have joined us. Sending you love and strength too! :heart::pray:

2 Likes

Thank you all so much for your encouragement. It really is one day at a time and the struggle is real. I’m glad I’m sober if nothing else, at least for today.

1 Like

Welcome! I’m glad you are here and sharing.

It’s a really tough spot to be in. In those early days it’s hard to quit and take action to change out behaviors and to also clearly see the wreckage of what we’ve done. The guilt, shame and remorse are real. And so is the damage we’ve caused.

Getting sober is step one. Working a real program of recovery for me was step 2 and this is truly what helped me change my entire life for the better.

If I don’t put my recovery first, I’m going to lose everything when I go back out. I know the financial losses are impactful, but keep in mind your recovery is more impactful as it’s where everything can turn around for the better AND it can be sustainable.

Please know you don’t have to do it all alone. My best thinking lead me to my alcoholism and the destruction I caused. I needed to really work with other alcoholics to begin clearing my wreckage of the past. I thought I had it by just putting down the drink but I was SO so wrong. I needed an overhaul from the inside out.

Wishing you well and congratulations on your first 11 days sober!

2 Likes