12 Rules By Dr.Jordan Peterson

This is a personal truth for me. It’s a philosophy I learned while living in Okinawa in the late 1980s. It’s called Kaizen, and it means constant improvement or as I say “get better at getting better”. Doesn’t matter what you are trying to achieve, if it’s worthwhile, invest your energy there.

I might suggest you check out Jocko Willink. His book “Discipline Equals Freedom Field Manual” and his Podcast have been very beneficial to me.

6 Likes

I am a big fan of Jordan Peterson. I would like to be apart of a book club to discuss his writing and lectures because his ideas are so intriguing. He talks about masculine energy as being associated with order, and feminine energy with chaos, just like the taoists do in the symbol of yin and yang. Chaos is associated with creativity and potential, order is structure and reliable. He mentions human men and women have both masculine and femine energy within them. He says set your house in order before critizing the world. And he also says start by cleaning your room. When you clean your room and then your house you clean your psyche at the same time. You lessen your own baggage and only then can you tackle problems bigger than your self especially on a global scale. I find it funny that he’s being critizised for getting over a benzo addiction after taking a prescription for a time of illness he went through during a very stressful period of his life, even while he was doing his best to share his ideas with as many people as possible, in order to help them take personal responsibility for their lives. The fact that someone could come away from hearing Jordan Peterson as “we should blame others for our problems” is so backwards it’s actually astounding. Complete opposite of his message. Try again, read more, think for yourself.

6 Likes

@Andy68 :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: that shit funny.
So ol granma burned that book up ?!? Lol
I guess,philosophy,psychlogy and " logic thinking " in general can be taken as blasphemy by "extreme religuous ppl " especially older ones,my grandmother like that aswell :rofl::rofl:
But Peterson been doing some Biblical series aswell ? I watched one just earlier today…
Actually enjoyed it :upside_down_face::upside_down_face::upside_down_face:

2 Likes

@Yoda-Stevie
Thanks for replying,appriciate it :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
Cool,ill look him up aswell,thanks.

1 Like

@VegasHiker
Yee, as more i dig into it, I find it more personal…like he knows what i need to hear…could be that diploma in psychology , and years of clinical experience :man_shrugging::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::rofl: but im starting to like him…
He basically having free-style conversations trying to figure shit out in front of the people,i like that approach…much more than scripted ones…
Think ill give him a try for sure :grin::grin::grin:

1 Like

I thought about getting that book a couple months ago but and then ended up getting 24 hours a day? It has a different writing or message every single day for the year. I have also listen to his lectures and videos. My favorite comedian Theo Von had Jordan Peterson on his podcast called … This past weekend . he had a lot of interesting things to say about addiction and alcoholism that I agreed with. Thanks for reminding me about this book I might try to look into getting it

1 Like

I saw an interview of Jordan Peterson by Russell Brand. Very interesting. Youtube it.
Like AA, take what you like and leave the rest.:unicorn::unicorn::unicorn:

5 Likes

The world has become a very warped place filled with people who have have unfortunately not been taught to think (but rather to mindlessly accept what they’re told and repeat it back), and are intellectually underdeveloped. This is not an insult to the people, but to the so called education system that has failed them. We live in a world where people get their information in tiny abridged snippits or from listening to someone else give their opinion on something, and then think they are informed.

Jordan Peterson is an interesting person. I have read Maps of Meaning (which I do not recommend for the casual reader). I have also listened to countless interviews, presentations, and lectures that Peterson has given, so I have a good grasp of what I might find in 12 Rules, which is part of why I haven’t read it. From what I know of it, I think it would be a good book in general for people to read.

As far as some of the things people have said, the facts are that he’s not anti-LGBT, he is anti-authoritarianism and was against a bill that was being put out that would make it illegal to misgender someone. Also, he didn’t have an addiction problem. He took his medication as prescribed during the period where his wife had cancer and he was deeply depressed over that and the stress of how much public attention was on him, then decided to get off the medication when he figured he didn’t need it anymore. Unfortunately, getting off the benzo medication was hell for him in a very unusual way and not like regular withdrawal but caused him some very severe health and emotional issues that doctors could not figure out. The discussion of men and women where it comes to order and chaos is deeply archetypal. The most basic equation would be the idea of yin/yang or the Law of Duality.

I shouldn’t have to say this, but see my opening paragraph as to why I will: I don’t agree with all of his intellectual ideas, his political views, etc., just as I don’t agree with everything about anyone else. I can take a person who has done things I don’t like, or has other ideas I don’t agree with, and still think they’re intelligent people, or that they said something worth considering, or maybe have also done good things besides the bad.

I believe it was Aristotle who said that said something about being able to hold a thought in one’s mind and consider it, without actually accepting it, was a mark of intelligence and I would definitely agree. I have listened to several of Peterson’s lectures on the bible. I am not a Christian and I also disagree with some of the conclusions he has come to, but I found them worth listening to because they are well thought out arguments put in a way I haven’t thought of before.

I don’t consider Peterson’s personal life when I approach his ideas. As a few others have said in their comments: Take what is good and what helps you learn and grow, then leave the rest.

6 Likes

Please be careful not to be patronising.

3 Likes

This is a really interesting subject and it’s got some great responses.

Hi! I do like how he is open to his sensitivity. There is quite a few things I don’t quite relate to in his thinking but his positivity to become a better person. Yes.
My main guy is Dr Joe Dispenza. :metal: I went from The Secret, to Tony Robbins and down the rabbit hole to Les Brown, Bob Proctor(R.I.P.)
But I pick and choose what I believe in with all of them. Tony speaks about religion quite a bit for example and I’m not necessarily religious. But Dr Joe has been it for me. There hasn’t been anything as As of yet that I don’t relate or agree with Dr Joe, oh and Abraham Hicks :metal:Anything to make us better than yesterday for sure and positivity all around. :metal:🫂:dizzy::star::star2::sparkles:

3 Likes

I have also taken quite a lot out of the book. The things I didn’t relate to, I still read and tried to see it the way it was meant.

Admitting that I’ve still got about 70 pages left and I’ve been trying to finish it since 2019.

I’ve got lots of ideas and thoughts that lots of people wouldn’t like or agree with so that stops me being critical to other peoples thoughts and ideas.

I’m open to hearing or reading anyones opinion whether it’s good, bad, positive or negative. There might be something in it to help me understand something else

1 Like

I stand by what I said.

2 Likes

I really like a lot of what Joe Dispenza has done as well. His meditations are brilliantly put together. I actually had to spend time really musing over why they were so profoundly different than so many other meditation techniques and realized that how he put together the blend of “thinking”, “feeling”, and then “action” is a work of art. He has basically brought together the classical trivium method of learning into a meditation session.

Even with Joe, there are a few things I don’t precicely agree with him–though they are more on the esoteric side. But still, I recommend his books to everyone. I’m so glad you brought him up! :+1:

1 Like

I’ll have to check out Dr. Joe.

1 Like