12 Rules By Dr.Jordan Peterson

Hi all :wave:
Hope ya ll doing well :upside_down_face:
So, recently iv found out about this guy, and since than iv been listening to his lectures and podcasts.
Gotta say,for me,he saying all the right words…
Rule number 4 (i think lol ) especially made me hopefull - COMPARE YOURSELF TO WHO YOU WERE YESTERDAY !!! And by that just improve a little,tiny step day after and you getting better for sure.
Seems so easy,doesnt it ?!? :rofl::rofl::rofl:
Any thoughts on Dr.Jordan Peterson? Or any advice on how to maintain focus?
God bless :pray::heart:

12 Likes

I found some of his stuff useful until my friend pointed out to me that he is anti LGBT and exceedingly rightwing, so I’d never buy into that by purchasing any of his books or materials.

9 Likes

Thanks for replying…
Ye, iv read about it in the comments and stuff,but i dont actually do poltics,so its not that a big turn off for me tbh…
At that time iv actually needed someone like him for "reallity check-in " i guess…

3 Likes

@Farmer ye exactly.

1 Like

Hey there! I’m glad he provided you with a check in and some valuable insights. For me personally, after reading a bit of his book and then also researching his talks, other essays and interviews etc. , I have come to understand that he has some dangerous views and he is a no go for me. He speaks of having your house in perfect order before criticizing the world…but he was deep in a benzo addiction with a marriage at risk while he made critical speeches around the country about higher academia, trans right etc.

It also never sat right with me that he talks about facing life head on and dealing with your problems directly when he almost died being placed in a medically induced coma so he could not have to actually FEEL his physical withdrawals.

He seems in his writing to make a point of offering up anthropological “evidence” and “science” about male energy being order, female energy being chaos and at least a part of the reason for male violence in the world is that women are able to choose their sexual partners, leaving the unchosen frustrated and prone to violence.

As a person in recovery, this type of thinking treads dangerously close to me or anyone else being able to sign their personal responsibility for their actions over to another person…and for me, that is very dangerous.

I notice, much like a cult, the rules for life, and the more surface level Peterson material is widely helpful, and for those who are comfortable taking and leaving, they stay a helpful framework for understanding life. When going down the rabbit hole and getting deeper into some of his writings and thoughts, to some of the “philosophy” deeper within his work, there is a continuing unraveling into some pretty dark places.

I mean, I get it…it’s human nature to want to blame someone else for our problems…and it’s definitely an addicts nature! But hey, that’s just my two cents. Glad we’re here sober today💛

10 Likes

Hey, @ELY83 thanks for your two cents :wink: ill use them wisely…
Yeah, i can see your poiint,deff can…but than again you said it best at the end, he just an " addict " trying to get his shit together…
It easy to give advice,but to follow the same path…
Makes him looks like Hypocrite :roll_eyes::thinking:
Guss im lucky to be able to stay in that frame and just take what i need :rofl::rofl::sweat_smile:

And sorry If my grammar is a bit rusty ( not my first language obviously :rofl::rofl:)

Thanks again for comment :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::heart:

2 Likes

Hey :wave:
Love your username :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
Thanks ill look him up…

1 Like

Oh that’s wild. Your grammar is definitely not rusty. I had no idea English wasn’t your first language!

1 Like

Maybe your friend was wrong about Peterson being anti LGBT and exceedingly rightwing - might be worth checking it out for yourself? He’s definitely anti-pronouns, that’s what made him known to the majority of the public. I don’t agree with everything he says, same as I don’t agree with everything I’m told - however, if it’s researched and makes sense, then I’ve learned something. For free!

6 Likes

Think that at the end of the day we just looking for that encouragment and support…familliar voice in lonely nights…all of us fighting same demons,just using slightly differrent weapon,forged by slightly different blacksmith,I guess,so if it works…
Didnt want to offend anyone,sorry if did.
God bless :pray::heart:

5 Likes

Keep reading Jordan Oeterson. Every man/woman should read his book.

If you’re interested in more, I would also start listening to motivation by motiversity, great podcast for gym time/self improvement time.

Ignore the comments that profess to espouse tolerance by being intolerant.

5 Likes

I read this book a few months ago and found it extremely helpful even though it’s stuff that I already knew lol :joy:
Glad to hear that your enjoying it , he has a follow up book to it

4 Likes

He’s not anti LGBT :rainbow_flag: he just has a problem with the Canadian government making it a law that you had to use pro nouns

5 Likes

I will definitly check this out! Never heard of him. I don’t know anything about him or his political views and stuff but I sort of go with the approach that:
I take what can help me, and leave the rest
Thanks for sharing!

6 Likes

It’s definitely a very good book but as for him I can see the thread being quite divided over him

1 Like

Ya thats true. I have quite a friends from back home that I still talk to that are transgendered and many as well that support LGBT. I support this as well. But it could cause some division. Ur right.

1 Like

I’m definitely a supporter of the LGBT :rainbow_flag: community as my daughter is get to the age where she is a bit confused about how she feel , but as I said it’s avery good book and help me massively

3 Likes

I bought this book about 2 years ago at a petrol station and then heard it was one of the current ‘must read’ books.

I must say, l got ALOT out of it and still refer to it often. In saying that, l guess a lot of his concepts are not new, and just plain common sense. Maybe that’s why he’s considered so brilliant? He reminds us to live in a way that dates back to Biblical times.

This thread intrigued me @Skillaz.Thank you.It also made me remember a funny story.

I was at my daughter’s boyfriend’s house, having a coffee with his grandmother.
I happened to have JP’s book with me and proceeded to tell her about it.
She was quite interested in it, so l offered to leave it with her for her to read.

A long time passed and she still had not returned it. I really wanted to read it again, so l bought another copy.

One day, my daughter sheepishly admitted that her boyfriend’s grandmother had thrown the book in the rubbish!!:flushed:

I asked why?! She replied that the grandmother being rather religious, had felt that God told her it was evil and to get rid of it!!

Lucky l had another copy! :rofl:

6 Likes

1 Like

Don’t get me wrong, but l have a problem with using correct pronouns too, let alone them being made mandatory!!

It’s not political though, in any way!

It’s just that l can’t wrap my 53 yr old half pickled head around the whole ‘them/they’ thing! My teenage daughters try in vain to explain it to me, but l just don’t get it.

And because l don’t understand it, l’m terrified l will offend someone, especially in my work life.

I am a Health Care Worker and already have to ask patients questions like ‘Are you currently pregnant?’ If l ask the average male, he will either laugh or be offended, but if l don’t, l could be seen to be discriminating.

4 Likes