13 Days Sober and Craving a Binge Tonight

I’ve had a fantastic day, I’m just relaxing on the sofa cuddling a dog, and all I want to do is stay up all night and drink. Drink spirits and get drunk.

I’ve suffered for two and a half years, drinking almost every single day, and this is the first time I’ve got this far. I can distract myself on days when I’m just lightly craving, but tonight I really feel like getting drunk. It’s almost like I’ve had such a nice day, now I just want to celebrate with alcohol.

What do I do? I’d feel like I’m letting everyone down if I drink, but I also just want to say ‘fuck it’ and enjoy my night. Help :frowning:

If you celebrate with alcohol, what will that celebration actually look like? I don’t know your situation but for me it would go something like a blackout, poor decisions, a hangover, sickness, anxiety… Any of that ring true? Doesn’t sound like much of a celebration to me!

What can you do instead? Go for a walk? Bet the dog would like that too :dog: Some YouTube exploration for a good meditation or yoga session, or have a nice hot bath a relaxing way to end a relaxing day? Stick some music on and dance around the house, get some energy off? Read a book and stimulate your mind in a positive way?

There are so many options! Congratulations on 13 days, you can get through today. You got this! :+1:

9 Likes

Thank you, they’re great options. And yes, you’re right that’s probably how my night would go. I don’t know why my head craves being reckless. I want that to stop.

I sincerely appreciate you reaching out :slight_smile: :blue_heart:

2 Likes

Alcohol is addictive, it makes us think differently!

Just focus on what you’re going to do instead and how much better it will feel to wake up after a good night’s sleep, hangover free. Even if you just end up getting an early night, whatever works :blush:

The longer I was sober, the more centered I became emotion-wise. Until then I needed to always be on guard with any extremes. Meaning extreme lows or extreme highs. Both have the ability to make me screwy.

I always aimed for the center. If I felt myself being too overly excited almost high from it… I humbled myself. Reading about my disease helped. Particularly the stories in the back of my AA Big Book.

Reminding myself that hell still exists…and the only thing keeping me out of it today was my God & my group, worked for me.

5 Likes

I have fallen into this trap before. If I find it happening, I remind myself of two things:

1. Whenever I have caved and given in, my “fun night” never ends up being what its cracked up to be, never meets the expectations I have. Disappointment, every time.

2. You’ll regret it big time in the morning.

Do yourself a favor: save yourself the disappointment and crushing regret of giving in. Do not give in, and tomorrow you will awaken proud, clear-headed, and on day 14 instead of day 1 (again). Cravings pass, give yourself that chance.

Here’s a favorite quote that I say to myself often, especially when struggling: “I always regret drinking. I have never regretted not drinking”.

You CAN get through this.

9 Likes

LOVE this quote! So true. Going to use this one :slight_smile: thank you for sharing.

2 Likes

Think about HALT are you hungry, angry, low or tired? If any of these are fueling your craving then address that feeling. Could it be you are actually craving sugar? My sugar craving lasted a good 6 months after I stopped drinking, if so ‘treat’ yourself to chocolate or sweets rather the alcohol, you will be so happy in the morning waking up on day 14 with no guilt or hangover :smiley:. Just remember you just need to say no to that first drink x

4 Likes

Don’t do it! That is a terrible feeling but fight the urge. I always want to celebrate my good days with a drink and always feel awful about it the next day. Hang in there :muscle::green_heart:

1 Like

Call a sober friend over don’t isolate yourself get out of your head do something positive I’m not one to talk i have only 44 days but I’m still in rehab

2 Likes

For myself being happy and excited is far more dangerous than being sad for a craving to hit. That’s why I’m on the look out and make sure I keep busy and redirect my energy into something positive.

4 Likes

Love what you had to say! I call it the “TOOs”, too anything used to make me drink! Too excited, too sad, too hot, too cold, too tired…you name it. I take good care of myself and my sobriety now to not fall into the “TOOs”.

4 Likes

It’s definitely a relaxing, peaceful pace today & a very welcome change from what it used to be like. I’m glad you keep an eye on your ‘toos’ too! :smile::hugs:

2 Likes

Maybe get phone numbers if you go to meetings dont no if you do ,easier to lift the phone rather than a drink wish you well

2 Likes