141 days sober and I feel so unhealthy physically

I’m curious if anyone else has experienced this. I feel extremely unhealthy. Zero energy, dizzy spells, head fog, and seeing floaters. I assumed after quitting drinking at least a bottle and a half of wine a day for 4 years, I would feel healthier. I don’t. My mental health is great. But my physical health is suffering. I’ve lost a lot of weight and I seem to crash multiple times a day. I don’t drink caffeine, and I even quit smoking. I have done most everything to improve my health outside of exercising more but that’s hard to do when motivation is stumped by loss of energy. My water intake is good and I even started supplementing with protein shakes daily in the hopes it was a lack of protein. What stumps me is that I had more energy when I was drinking and overall, outside of hangovers, felt physically healthier and definitely more motivated. I thought sobriety was supposed to be opposite. My whole life has changed for the better. I left a terrible relationship, have my own home, gained an awesome position with great salary. Everything is great except my physical health and this has taken me by surprise. Can anyone else relate or am I alone in feeling like this. I’m terrified to go to the Dr.

6 Likes

Hey Erika,

Congratulations on your sober days, an amazing achievement.

The symptoms you describe could be so many things that it’s hard to comment. The one thing I can guarantee you is that you ARE healthier sober than you would be drinking15 units of booze per day.

We can sit here and guess what could be causing it,(my number one guess would be a sugar cycle - are you eating more sweet things after quitting drinking, and when) but really you should get some data.

I CAN relate to not wanting to go to the docs, but how about getting some blood work done privately? It’s really not expensive and could put your mind at ease enough to go and speak with a doctor?

Good luck

4 Likes

141 days!! You are doing so well - and your body is clearly adjusting to itself without being poisoned. A quick trip to the doctor can put your mind at ease :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ve been thinking of posting the same question. I’m at day 30 free from drink but… feel awful. My mental health is much improved and my moods are so much better. My day is more organised, yet I can fall asleep between 3 and 7 times a day. I’ve just woken up after starting a podcast, can’t remember a thing about it and the timer says I’ve listened to 37 minutes of it! I don’t know how to explain it, it’s a cross between taking a nap and passing/blacking out. I’ve started taking vitamins in the hope of upping my energy levels but to no avail. Would be interested if anyone else has suffered this and what the outcome was.

3 Likes

Have your doctor check your bloods specifically your B12 levels xx

4 Likes

B12 could be a good call. Just looked on the NHS website (UK health service). B12 deficiency also causes the following that I’m experiencing:- foggy mind, general feeling of weakness, muscle aches and vision issues. I may have to apologise to my opticians over the last one. Been moaning constantly that my new glasses were crap! They were fine all the time I was drunk though…

3 Likes

I was very much the same and began taking vitamin D and B12… those issues went away. Now did they go away naturally or because of vitamins, I couldn’t say for sure.
But I do know that regular blood work also helps clear your mind or at least give you an idea of where you should be focused on to start healing :mending_heart:

2 Likes

Thanks everyone! I can’t say being sober has “amazed” me, but I am defiently a more productive/succesful adult, and a much less moody person overall. Still adapting to the social part of being sober, and not being a complete hermit. :laughing: I think getting blood work done is a great idea, also going to get some B12 and start taking that. Thanks again everyone! It’s motivating to know this isn’t particullarly out of the norm.

3 Likes

I would not discount the mental health part either. Depression shows up for me as extreme fatigue, poor quality sleep even when I get enough, odd neuro type symptoms, inflammation. Saw many doctors and the only thing that helped much was an antidepressant. I still get issues, but my body does not respond as dramatically.

And through all this, not sad nor barely stressed at all.

1 Like

Great work on your sobriety and congratulations on quitting cigarettes too. Glad to hear that things are turning around for you.

I would second what others are saying about getting vitamins checked. vitamin d and 12 were game changers for me. I would get a physical and be honest with you physician.

You may also want to look into PAWS. Many threads here about the topic as well. I did go through major foggy spells in my 3rd, 6th and 10-11th months of sobriety.

Keep working on your recovery. Your body is detoxing and repairing itself. This can take some time.

Congratulations on your one month @Andy79:point_up:t4:.this may help you as well.

2 Likes

:hugs: Do not take the B12 supplements before the bloodwork is done, it will influence the outcome of the results. So start taking the supplements after the test.

3 Likes

Totally agree with this because sometimes there can be an issue with us absorbing B12 and therefore like me we have to have regular injections of b12…if this was the case for u then supplements will do nothing to help…u definitely need to consult a professional. After blood tests i was found to be very low in both b12 and folate (b9).

2 Likes