#16 Alternatives drinks and snacks, please!

Hi everyone! First of all, thank you for sharing your experiences, I just started 2 weeks ago to quit my alcohol addiction and after reading some of your stories and thoughts I really appreciated how strong is this community and how powerful can be your words to encourage a person to never giving up.
I’m just wondering if I’m doing wrong replacing my alcohol addiction with free alcohol beer or energetic drinks like Diet Coke. I don’t know which potential drinks would be the best to cope with my addiction in the early stages.
Also I did realize my craving for sugar increased and I don’t know if you have any favorite snacks I could replace during this new journey of my life.
Thanks a lot! :sparkling_heart:

7 Likes

I replaced mine with Kitkats, cake, and Arizona tea. Eventually those went back to normal consumption habits.

I havent touched alcohol free beer. For me, in my heart, I know it would lead right back to the real stuff.

4 Likes

As far as beverages go, I’m really keen these days on La Croix sparkling waters. They come in different flavors, but contain no sweeteners or calories and taste great. For my little sweet treat I like a piece of good quality dark chocolate (86% cacao, preferably) dipped in a little bit of peanut butter. Just like a Reece’s, but better. Give it a try!

3 Likes

I second the La Croix and sparkling waters in general, I also like lime flavored Perrier and often squeeze a wedge of lemon or lime in or mix with a splash of lemonade, cranberry or other juice. I prefer salty over sweet snacks, though I am trying to eat more fruit and veg, so peanut butter on honey crisp apple slices, celery sticks or pretzels have been my favorite choices lately. Edit to say “natural” salty peanut butter as opposed to the sugary stuff :+1:t3:

4 Likes

Seltzer water is all I need. It’s about 60% of my daily consumption, followed by water, coffee, then energy drinks (probably my true vice now)

4 Likes

I’m another believer in Seltzer. I go through a few 1 Liter bottles some days, but the carbonation fills me up and has a taste that just works for me. I prefer the citrus that comes with lemon lime ones.

1 Like

Thank you! That’s really helpful! I will try the drinking tea habit! :slight_smile:

Thanks! Yes! I also believe the lemon flavor can be a fair replacement! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh! I will try the chocolate! Thanks for your advices! :slight_smile:

I guess best option for my hang outs with friends will be energy drinks :blush: thanks!

Naturally as addicts and alcoholics we tend to not be very healthy as we didn’t have a healthy addiction

When I first got sober I was drinking coffee and Mountain Dew in high doses my snacks were terrible

I have since switched to water, sparkling waters and since I love fruit it’s been my go to snack, the nice thing about it is it makes you fuller longer and its much healthier for you vs processed foods

1 Like

Yes! I agree Vega and fruits would be the best replacement but I’m not fan of the healthy snacks :frowning: that’s why I’m struggling to find my favorite snack/drink
Thanks for sharing your tips :slight_smile:

Yes, totally agree! That’s the main reason I’m trying to find something more balance during the first month. After all I believe it will be easier the journey and hopefully I will find as you my favorite and healthy snacks/drinks.

Lacroix

Team bubble water, let’s gooooo! Though nowadays I have a Soda Stream.

Also in early sobriety I was suggested to keep some bites of chocolate around in case I was feeling snippy. To this day I still keep M&M’s around.

4 Likes

Also I rebooted my nightly chamomile tea before bed. A signal to the body it’s sleepy time. :sleeping: Got a fancy electric kettle with the money saved from not drinking!

1 Like

So my guilty pleasure drink is this: I whip up about 2-3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream with sparkling ice (about 1/2 of the bottle) pour over ice and stir in a splash or so of shrub vinegar.

1 Like

Polar just released their winter line. Prickly Pear is on point. Highly recommend.

3 Likes

Carrots and peanut butter, seasonal fruit, (i.e apples, pears, watermelon, strawberries, etc.) trail mix, hummus and pita bread or any flatbread you have available, dark chocolate, sun chips, granola bars. These are some healthy/healthier snacks I can think of that you can try/eat. :slight_smile:

1 Like