17 days sober and bored

I was a heavy weekend binge drinker, and now I’ve been sober for 17 days which is great, but it has been a little tough. My husband is an all day drinker. He starts his drinking at 5:30 in the morning and will drink until he passes out. When he wakes up, he starts all over again. He is also on suboxeon for an old oxy addiction. I decided to quit drinking when I saw what the alcohol was doing to him and after I quit…I realized what it was doing to me. I’ve lost some weight, my skin looks better, and I just feel better.

The issue is that…well…I’m bored. All of my friends are at the bars daily and every time I turn around there is alcohol around. I don’t feel the need to drink, but I definitely feel the need to socialize. Are there any suggestions?

Oh and my new addiction is coffee😝

4 Likes

Good for you on your 17 days!!! That is impressive!!

Have you considered a new hobby or activity? Running, walking, bicycling, working out, fitness classes, joining a meet up, volunteering…just a few ideas that come to mind.

You might also find this thread helpful…

5 Likes

I made close friends in support groups such as AA and NA and other peer recovery settings and I like to cook/host meals for them when I have time or drag someone to the gym with me or read more challenging books than I could handle before I got sober. I dont have as much freeform socializing time nowadays because my career goals that I worked so hard on in the first 3 years of sobriety are all coming to fruition! I have wonderful coworkers I consider true friends as well.

What are your long-term goals? What is one thing you could do towards them today?

5 Likes

Boredom can be dangerous. I have a lot of free time to myself I used to just sleep away but now that I’m not constantly tired I just think too much. I decided it was time to try aa and it was exactly what I needed. Especially the womens group I’ve found. It gets me up and motivated in the morning to make it there and everyone is so inviting and willing to exchange numbers. I havent had any close friends in years but I can already tell that I’m going to make a lot of new SOBER ones. Also starting an exercise program is helpful. Your brain will make the happy hormones naturally and you might meet some people there that are practicing living a healthy lifestyle. Anything you enjoy that keeps the mind/body busy. All the best!

4 Likes

Thanks everyone! I’ve been thinking about playing chess again. Yes, I’m a nerd lol. Use to play in tournaments and I’ve been going to the coffee shops a lot. That has helped me too. Also, I have been picking up more shifts at the hospital.

I am looking forward to making it three weeks and it is coming up! The days are much longer now, but I feel great!

2 Likes

We do have a lot more time on our hands! I remember when I quit smoking years ago…wow, that was A LOT of time I gained! Who knew??

Taking up chess again sounds like a good plan!!

1 Like