Hobbies and Interests

What are your hobbies and interests? What do you do on your down time? What new things have you discovered or old things you forgot you enjoyed until now?

5 Likes

ā˜†gardening
ā˜†making art (painting, collage, clay, paper mache, art journaling)
ā˜†antiques
ā˜†reading about spirit animals, spirit guides, and other metaphysical topics
ā˜†collect Anne Rice books
ā˜†interactive self-help books
ā˜†service work with others
ā˜†meditation outside
ā˜†nature walks
ā˜†slight obsession with flip-flops and sunglasses
ā˜†interest in vitamins and nutrition
ā˜†thrift stores
ā˜†bicycle rides
ā˜†dancing like a fool while cleaning
ā˜†daily dose of laughter

7 Likes

I am quite active, middle distance running, 5km and 10km, tennis, golf, cycling, hiking, football (soccer), travelling Europe whenever I can, walking my dogs, painting.

When I drank, I rarely made time for any of these except the travel as I could still drink when travelling.

4 Likes

Whatā€™s art journaling if you dont mind me asking?

I like to go hiking, camping, hunting, canoeing, 4 wheeling, shooting, sitting by a campfire (even if its just in my back yard), pretty much anything outdoors and i am in (or outā€¦you know what i mean lol). I like to spend time with my wife and 3 kids while doing all of these avtivities. I also really enjoy just cruising into town at like 1am just to go to the store because i can because i dont have to worry about getting pulled over for dui anymore lol!

3 Likes

Writing, painting, drawing, aerial silks, meditation, reading, weightlifting, motorcycling, eating ice cream, naps, and trying to get back to running after a knee problem! Iā€™m lucky to have so many things to do and so much free time, but the free time is always the hardest part to manage. Boredom=drink for me.

2 Likes

https://shoptangiebaxter.com/pages/what-is-art-journaling

7 Likes

Me too Iā€™m going to try Art Journaling

Thank you,looks interesting :blush:

1 Like

I recently got a Nintendo Switch. Itā€™s pretty cool! My girlfriend and I play against/with each other.

It uses motion controls, and there are games where you can dance, box, etc.

Thereā€™s also a puzzle game called ā€œSnipper Clippersā€ which is a two player game that requires you to be really creative and work as a team.

All in all, itā€™s a nice way to spend time together and (surprisingly) be active.

2 Likes

-going to concerts
-driving around aimlessly trying to discover new things
-gaming
-watching YouTube videos about how things are made lol
-animals have become a big part of my sobriety especially with my new job (pet store)
-those damn claw machines, Iā€™m a pro at them now lol

2 Likes

I used to do that as a kid, it was awesome. I donā€™t know why i stopped.

You guys are all so active compared to me! Prior to drinking, I had a goal to run a half marathon in every state. Iā€™m thinking of picking that back up.

And, Iā€™m the only sub-30 girl I know that loves to quilt. I really let my old soul show when I get into it. Iā€™m even starting to teach my daughter which is so fun for me!

Itā€™s fun to have the time and drive to do these things again! Maybe Iā€™ll even pick up a few of the ones you guys listed, Iā€™m remembering that I used to love trying new thingsā€¦

3 Likes

I just want to run my first half marathon. I love running but unfortunately didnā€™t make it to my first half marathon last weekend because I had missed too many long training runs due to, you guessed it, getting drunk the night before.
My goal is to start training for a fall half, and eventually start running them in other states too!

1 Like

The September races are my favorite! The weather is perfect for them.

Itā€™s really hard to train for the first one because youā€™re not sure what to expect. Do you have any 10 miler races in your area? I did one of those before I ran my first half marathon and it really helped. In my mind I just had to think that if I could finish the 10 mile race, I only had a 5k more to go after that.

It gets easier to stay motivated to train once you experience the gathering in the cattle fences, the national anthem, the start of the race, the conversations you have with total strangers throughout the race, everyone running their own race but still working toward the same finish line, the volunteers and spectators with their posters and cheers the whole time, hitting the last mile, sprinting in to the finish, getting that medal around your neck, snapping a photo at the photographers stand, heading to a HUGE post-race breakfastā€¦

I still get emotional at every single long race I do. Thereā€™s something very cool about the feeling that NO ONE helped you get to the finish line, you did that on your own, and no one can ever take that away from you.

Lol sorry for the long reply, itā€™s just that cool. Good luck with your training! Keep me posted when you get signed up for the next race, I canā€™t wait to hear how itā€™s going!

3 Likes

There are some in my area, yes! Iā€™m in Wisconsin, Milwaukee area specifically, so we have a decent amount of options. I should do that. The most Iā€™ve ran is 5 miles. I know I can do a 10 miler, and a half as well, just need to get my priorities straight. :grinning:

1 Like

I love it! I just signed up my daughter and I for her first little kid quarter mile race and my first 5k in about three years.

Itā€™s so depressing how far I slipped and how hard itā€™s been to get back into it. But Iā€™m making progress and my body is remembering what we used to do. Iā€™ll be joining you in he half marathon efforts soon!

Youā€™ll be great!

1 Like

Steve92, I wish you lived closer to me because I like gaming and to drive around aimlessly trying to discover new things too! Like new roads or buildings or even different bridges and what not. I think you and I would be buds. LOL!

2 Likes

Iā€™m always down to hang out with other non drinkers @Diesel :smiley: u donā€™t live THAT far lol

2 Likes

Yeah, you are right. I might have to road trip some weekend! Get the hell outa dodge and check out some roads that I KNOW iā€™ve never been down LOL! It would be nice to hang out with someone that the weekend doesnā€™t revolve around alcohol! All of my friends are alcoholics. But for the most part they only binge on the weekends and can stop during the week. These are my true friend too. The ride or die guys that I have known since I was 5 or 6 years old so it is something I just need to work through. Although for the most part the can be supportive but only to the point of not trying to peer pressure me into drinking. They are not going to give up drinking just cause I am around. (and I donā€™t think they should be expected to thhough either.) I have the problem. That is the fact and it shouldnā€™t effect me what they do.

2 Likes