20 years+ in active addiction...anyone else?

Hi Y’all!

I have been an alcoholic since I was 16 years old (I am almost 37 now). Only time I was able to get sober was when I was pregnant with my 5 beautiful children. Today, I am 5 days sober for a better tomorrow. Is there anyone else that struggled with addiction for over 20 years and now successfully sober? I would love some inspiration and motivation! Thanks everyone :white_heart:

11 Likes

Welcome. I am at day 24 today, so I am new here. I am almost 60 and have had a problem for 25+ years. I tried the “try and cut down” method. A no go. I have lots of horrible stores due to my drinking. I feel great today and really can only take it one day at a time. It seems the first few weeks go slowly but it is going better. Sending you strength and look forward to getting to know you better. :grinning:

8 Likes

Congratulations for making it 24 days :grin: thanks for being an inspiration!!

1 Like

Welcome!! Yes, there are many people here who were actively using for 20 years or more and are now living sober drug and alcohol free lives.

I also started drinking and drugs at 16 and kept going for 40+ years before sobriety stuck. By the end, I was an absolute mess emotionally, mentally and constantly suicidal. My brain was on overload trying to get thru days and nights. I was a binge drinker, so would often go a week or two without drinking and think I was “okay” …trying for decades to believe that I was a social drinker (whatever that is). I was a messy AF addicted drunk + drug user. The substances ruled my life…not me…even tho I kept a good job, had a house, raised my family, etc. On the outside I looked like anyone. Inside…my thoughts were constantly on how I could keep drinking and not black out, make an ass of myself, tear up a car, fight with my husband, break something, injure myself, etc etc…I was a mess…for years. It sucked my soul, self confidence and self esteem, money and made me a shitty partner.

After years of ‘trying’…I finally started stringing a lot of sober days together. It was a long process that involved acknowledging and understanding that I alone was responsible for if I picked up a drink…this took a long time to really understand and I needed to baby my sobriety for a long while (go to bed early, skip parties and get togethers and holidays), I needed to learn to take care of my sobriety and my self if I wanted it to grow. My husband still drinks, so all that was a real challenge and turning point. I had to understand that no amount of moderation or bargaining (water in between drinks, only drink on weekends, etc) was going to ‘solve’ my problem. I read a ton on alcohol and a ton of quit lit, I used physical activities to burn off all that lethargy and energy (yeah I had both at the same time). Found a lot of distraction…head to the gym or take a walk at x time daily type of thing. Many folks head to meetings. Found fellowship here and with other online sober communities. Reminded myself often of why I was quitting and what was at stake.

It was a long slog for me, but eventually days ran into weeks into months into years. I remember wondering how anyone could achieve 30, 60, 90, 120 days…let alone a year. But the days can and do add up and our lives can and do change. Our brains and bodies can and do heal…day by day.

Never give up, always keep fighting for your self and your sobriety. Most all of us had slip ups along the way, what stays true is always always getting back to business and fighting for your self and sobriety. Being super active here, even just reading, helped me immensely. Finding a community of support and experience is so important. Melding our sobriety into our lives, building upon it to then work thru our own personal riddles and issues (aka recovery) is part of the healing process.

So glad you are here! Yes, we can and do heal even after living our whole adult lives actively drinking. Sobriety doesn’t solve all our problems, life will always be life, but sobriety and recovery allow us the clarity and space to live without that constant pressure and pain in our heads and our hearts.

So glad you are here!! :heart:

14 Likes

Congratulations on 5 days sober! I was like urself and struggled for many years. 23 years to be exact. Tried literally everything to get clean and sober (or so I thought). And then Feb 13 2022 I finally got truly sick and tired of being sick and tired. I reached a whole new rock bottom, got clean with the help of this forum and have over 2 years clean and sober now :slight_smile:

9 Likes

I am 60, and 164 days af. So pretty new here. I had two years back in 16-18. Then went back to drinking wine again. So happy to be working for sobriety!:star2::star2::star2::star2:

4 Likes

I am truly inspired by you @SassyRocks! I took ALL of what you wrote to heart. Your story is so very close to mine. From the outside, I look like I have it all together and so many of my friends and family act like my addiction isn’t even a problem because of it. But it’s time to stop making excuses for myself! When I stopped drinking 5 days ago, I thought I was just going to “stop drinking through the week”, but yesterday it came to light that I will keep going back to old habits unless I stop completely. What you wrote solidified that for me, so thank you from the bottom of my heart :white_heart: I can’t imagine hitting 30 days sober yet, but I know that with support from people like you and this community in TS…I will make it!!

7 Likes

That’s amazing!! Congratulations on 2 years! I am so happy to be a part of this community now. Everyone is so supportive and you all are so inspiring. Thank you for going through what you went through, so that people like me could follow in your footsteps!

4 Likes

164 days!!! Wow!!! I bet you are so proud of yourself, as you should be. Thank you for being an inspiration :blush:

3 Likes

I know this well!! In the beginning I had so many people ask me when I was going to start drinking again. And in all honesty, I tried for YEARS to find ways so I could keep drinking. But the hole in my soul just kept getting deeper.

You are wise to commit to changing your life now. You know what the drinking life holds, there is a whole world out there to explore sober. :people_hugging:

3 Likes

I’m in the long time drink long time sober club. My caution in sharing that is that others may think they can drink for 35 years, like I did, and survive. I wrecked enough cars and spent enough time in jail to know I was lucky, or graced, to have survived.

I haven’t had a drink yet today and I don’t plan to. I’m closing in on 19 years sober. I did it with AA, Antabuse, counseling, the Department of Corrections, and Talking Sober.

Blessings on your house :pray: as you begin your journey.

6 Likes

Welcome to the forum Joann! Congrats on 5 days! They were some of the hardest days for me, but it does get easier over time.

I used alcohol, opioids and cocaine daily for 20+ years. Thankfully, I’m one of the lucky ones who found recovery before it was too late. With the help of AA and this forum, I’m now 4,5 years sober.

Wishing you the best on your journey.

5 Likes

I drank my whole life, not daily then, but often. I became a daily drinker around age of 20. I have attempted quitting numerous times. I have not made it past 90ish days.

I am now on day 69 and no longer see it as a potential thing. It’s mandatory for me at this bright and shiny age of 55.

6 Likes

I was where you are. Started drinking in my student days and alcohol helped me to loosen up. Drinking went from now and then to every day.
Sober when carrying a child ore breastfeeding and started where I left it when that was done.
One day I collapsed because I drank that much, couldn’t walk ore talk. Next day was my day one. Found a Dutch website to help me (I’m Dutch) and they had a forum like this (but not that active). But it helped me to understand myself and the way addiction works and what to do to remain sober. I stayed sober for 5 years and thought I was cured.
Tried moderation, but that failed because the drinking increased into old bad amounts.
Searched for another group of like wised people to join and found this app. Sober for more then 5 years now and happy with how my life goes these days. I wish you the same, it can be done! :facepunch:

3 Likes

I love this. Bargaining. Always bargaining. Great, inspiring post!

3 Likes

So true! Thanks for your inspiration!:pray::heart:

2 Likes

I was active 30+ years, and with some hard work and dedication, I am now 2243 days sober! It was never easy, and I sill work at it, but it is truly possible if you put the work in!!

5 Likes