2nd day of recovery again any advice

Hi am trying to stop drinking once again day 2 i feel more confident but we will see fingers crossed :crossed_fingers: i can do it this time i will have a drink one night start off with 4 beers then ill end up going shop for more then i would be doing the same the next night i have a alcoholic fatty liver from drinking so need to stop asap doctors said

6 Likes

The writing is on the wall then. Listen to the doctors advice. It’s your life at the end of the day. How much do you want it?

Stay strong and don’t be to hard on yourself

5 Likes

[quote=“Reid19881, post:1, topic:162492”]
i have a alcoholic fatty liver from drinking
[/quote] is that not enough to frighten you ? maybe try a meeting they worked for me wish you well

7 Likes

Ive download the everything aa might try a zoom meeting soon

11 Likes

Theres that many groups in my area i dont know witch one i need to go to is it the new comers group

2 Likes

Any AA meeting is a newcomer meeting. You will find others like you in the rooms. The Everything AA app is fantastic! This sounds very serious from a health standpoint. Alcohol kills people every day. I hope you get to a meeting and do what it takes to stay sober.

5 Likes

Be adventourous try a few different meetings. You may like some more than others.

Theres also an awesome beginners zoom everyday at 8pm central on zoom where they celebrate everyone sober days and focus on steps 1-3. They were super welcoming to me.

5 Likes

All of them, your better off sitting in a room than laying in a coffin.

4 Likes

Thank you! I never knew how or where to find meetings. :heart_hands:

3 Likes

There’s a bunch. If you search “marathon AA meeting” you can find some 24-hour ones that are open all the time.

There’s a women’s meeting running 24 hours a day (at least there has been for a while I assume it’s still running):

2 Likes

Any AA or NA group is fine for newcomers. My first and favorite group was an NA I accidentally happened upon and I was only drinking not using narcotics, they welcome all. Try several, just walk in and sit down, you don’t have to ask to be there. I’ve noticed I connect more with people when I would go early to help set out the chairs and brew coffee and stay later to help clean up, sometimes during the meeting itself people can clam up, may not feel like sharing that day or whatever but you’ll make new friends and it’ll help. It did help me a lot, I just haven’t been back since covid restrictions were lifted. No excuses for that.

Anyway, I’m right there with you with the liver issues, day 2 out of the hospital myself. Advice? Not my place to give any. But I’ll tell you a few things I’ve done that have helped, that you MAY consider. I’ve gone and bought some coffee and sweets for the group beforehand, that put me in a position where I’m doing something positive in addition to the meeting itself. Can’t drink, because I need to go to the store, get coffee, get there early, etc. Things like that can help. Making new rituals and obligations to enforce sobriety. I’ve even been to groups where a few people took turns hosting sober bbq’s or coffee meetups outside the meetings.

Or seriously consider some rehab. You can talk to your doctor about that. But yeah, you must quit. I got the same talk from my dr. They don’t give livers to alcoholics, and you can’t live without it.

1 Like

Seek outside support as needed and don’t take your sobriety for granted.

Thank you for sharing ive got a meeting in my local area Wednesday i will go to the meeting but im using zoom at the minute

2 Likes

Thank you so much! :hugs:

1 Like

Last week I went to my first meeting. I chose one that was close to my home, and took a deep breath and went.
I had no idea what to expect, no idea of what would happen. The only thing I knew for sure was the fact I could leave if that mood took me.
I didn’t leave, I found the people there so welcoming, and I am just about to go back for my second meeting in about 5 minutes. I really am looking forward to it.

So, have no preconceived ideas, do not pressure yourself to go or stay, and give it a try. There will be different meetings, different people and if the first one is not right for you, then try another with the same mindset. You will very soon find a meeting where you feel comfortable.

I tried zoom meetings during COVID, but they did not have the same feeling that an in-person meeting has… But that is just my impression. If you want to try zoom, then give it a go. You will know when you find the right safe place.

3 Likes

Thank you good luck in your meeting today

Thank you, I am here now, waiting for it to start, but it is nice to be here again.

Good luck with your journey.

If asking specifically about AA meetings, I recommend an open speaker meeting AT FIRST rather than a closed discussion meeting. Both are great and if you decide to work the steps the closed discussion is definitely where you need to be BUT in an open speaker meeting you can just sit and listen. You won’t need to say a word. After listening to others stories for a few weeks I finally felt ready to actively participate and started adding the discussion meetings into my schedule.

YOU CAN DO IT!!

2 Likes

The first meeting (and the second), was a closed meeting. It was made absolutely clear that I could sit and listen, with no obligation to speak, and that was fine. I did not feel any pressure one way or another, and I was grateful. But in the first meeting I did introduce myself and that was where I publicly stated my condition. But I did not have to, and I guess that I felt more comfortable knowing that the only people in that room were in the same condition as I am.

I did not say much, but did not need to. Yesterday I did say a little more but, again, I was told I did not have to. It was as comfortable as it can be to admit a secret from not only every who knows me, but also a secret I had kept from myself… (Maybe the lie I told myself would be a better, more accurate description).
As I fit the criteria to attend a closed meeting, I do not think it would have made any difference to me what type of meeting it was.

And another benefit was that a new person came yesterday… That person was someone I had met at a programme that had been closed down, so we both knew someone, and also some of each other’s story. It was so nice to meet, as we could see that each of us were still aiming for the same thing, and we both knew each other was ok.

2 Likes

Absolutely. No one EVER is obligated to speak or read or anything. But for new people who are already nervous it can feel overwhelming if the book gets handed to you. That’s all I meant.

But I also have a preference for speaker meetings…to hear the whole story from one person. It’s comforting to hear the stories that “disclose in a general way what we used to be like, what happened, and what we are like now.”

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes