3 hours sober.. no going back

I’ve been wanting to stop drinking for a long time. I just separated from my partner of 5 years and we have a beautiful baby together who is 6 months. I’m currently living with an alcoholic so I spend so much money on beer and we share so much of it. I hate living with someone who drinks this much because I’m a “peer pressure” drinker and I want to drink with them. I’m not sure how I’m going to say no but that’s my first step. I have to do this for my kid. I drink after work but it always follows with me getting drunk. I never get drunk watching my baby but I still have a few beers every now and again, but when I don’t have my baby I go all out. I can’t just have one. It’s the first thing I look forward to after work. I need help. I recognize I need help. I need someone to keep me accountable… I’m scared but I can do this for my kid.

8 Likes

You can do this. Repeat that phrase to yourself as often as you need. Take it 15 mins at a time. I personally got into AA and having the accountability and fellowship with other alcoholics has definitely helped me stay sober these last few weeks. Trust me you can do this.

I hate to say it but you know what needs to be done. As long as you are surrounded by alcohol abuse you will succumb to the desire/pressure to participate.
Go to a meeting and talk to someone about your situation. Trust what they have to say and offer.
Best of luck.

1 Like

Hi @kwow, and welcome to Talking Sober! Do what you need to do so you lay a sober head on the pillow tonight. One saying that helped me out a bunch in the beginning was “Don’t drink, no matter what”. No matter what.

I’ll give you a link to a great thread on here, full of information on what others are doing to get and stay sober: https://talkingsober.com/t/resources-for-our-recovery/52812

And a suggestions for a great book with real short, punchy chapters with real-world wisdom on how to cope with life without beer and booze is “Living Sober”, free to read online at https://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/living-sober-pdf-format

2 Likes

There’s some tough decisions for you to make but I think you can do it if you believe in yourself, even if it’s for the now, you know you can get yourself out of that situation and make a better life.

1 Like

You sound determined with a great reason to do this for yourself. It’s a tough road but remember just to take it a day at a time and use this forum when you need to. Good luck!

2 Likes