3 years ago, I almost relapsed

On May 26, 2020, I told a friend that I wanted to use. I was 3 days away from being 8 months sober. I had a 1 month old baby. She said, “Are you sure?” I said, “Yes.” We were on our way to get the substance & I began to change my mind. She was driving. I had no control of the vehicle. I was nervous about telling her I changed my mind. She pulled over at a convenience store & went inside. While I was alone, I spoke to my counselor on the phone. I told her what was going on. My counselor encouraged me to tell her I changed my mind. She came back & I told her. She wasn’t upset. She drove me home. I bought myself this wooden coin for not giving in that day. I’m proud of myself. Don’t give in no matter what. That feeling WILL pass. I promise!

23 Likes

Congratulations that chip is so cool I just received my 3-year coin

3 Likes

tmp

4 Likes

I love that… I remember hearing something like that on the recovery elevator podcast.

3 Likes

@Shee Yay! Congratulations. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I’m in the 3 year club as well. Thank you. 🫶🏻

@LeeHawk Thank you. :purple_heart:

@Dan531 As soon as I saw it on Etsy, I loved it. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I think it might be my favorite coin in my collection.

1 Like

That’s a great little story, true and unhidden, the journey moment to moment - I love it. Thanks for sharing! :innocent:

2 Likes

Before any relapse there are many forks where you can choose a different path. I love the rustic look of the wooden coin. :blush:

2 Likes

@Matt Thank you. I wish I was a better writer, so it could’ve sounded a lot better.

@Misokatsu Very true. A craving will always eventually pass. My true desire is to stay clean until the day I die, so I know what to do no matter what. I love recovery so much & I’m very proud of myself. The wooden coin is from Etsy. I love it. I’ve seen leather coins on Etsy as well.