3 years ago, life was over

March 21, 2016.
Life was over for me. My life of addiction and crime had come to ahead in one fateful moment. I had been involved in selling a lot and using even more. I had been arrested with over 8 oz of meth at once and a firearm on March 19. I bonded out of jail (250,000 property bond) on March 21 and continued to use and collect money that was owed out. I went to court that morning and was arraigned. About 10:30 that night, I kicked in the door of a friend that owed me big time. As soon as I kicked the door open, I heard the gun shots. I was hit twice.
I went into shock in about 45 seconds or so. I was taken to Erlanger in Chattanooga (level 1 trauma hospital) where a team of trauma surgeons worked on me for 14.5 hours just to stop the bleeding. My Aorta had been shot clean in two and my bowls clean in two in two places. I should never have made it to the hospital. By the grace of God, I lived. The surgeons couldnt explain it because medically, I shouldnt have survived.
I walked out of Erlanger in 9 days, after my family being told, 1. He will not live. 2. If he lives,he will be here for months.
I enetered into a rehab program and committed to stay for 12 months. I went April 12, 2016, the day after i got the staples removed from my 15 inch incision, where they cut me open like a fish to try to fix me. I ended up staying 18 months. I completed that time with no relapses.
I moved back home and started a family. I am married now, with a beautiful 17 month old son. I am a first year preaching student, and i speak at many youth events, talking to yoing folks about the ills of drugs and the consequences of choices.
I am on 20 years probation. Where I should have went to prison, I recieved a boat load of mercy. Yesterday marked three years sober for me with no relapses. Yesterday marked three years since God spared my life and gave me a second chance. Recovery is possible. Make no mistake about it. If I can lay down 15 years of hard drug abuse and the hustler life style, anyone can. You can!!! Now, 3 years ago seems like an eternity, and three years later Im living my very best life. God bless you all.

17 Likes

Wow! No other words…just wow!!

1 Like

Great share man. Full of positivity. Thanks.

1 Like

This gives me hope, day 22 no heroin and Ive been here before but im scared idk if i can see myself saying oh i have a year clean it worries me so much

Wow, what an amazing story of overcoming SO much! Glad you are here! :heart:

Awesome testimony! Thank you!

1 Like

I think u r amazing… i love your story so much … it gives me hope and comfort i can change my life around woth god in my heart x thankyou 4 sharing x

1 Like

Wow! Thank you for sharing!

1 Like

Wow man god is great!!! Congrats!!

1 Like

Yes yes YES. What a fantastic story… thank you for sharing it :pray:t2:

1 Like

What an amazing story - and really well written - not a wasted word @Robby_Eversole.
The Lord’s definitely decided you’re needed to give him a hand doing something else.

1 Like