32 Days This Naked Mind Style

So I have cut back, logged in, deleted the app,added the app, delete d the app, made it a week, feel like I don’t belong too many times…

I tend to get tunnel vision on my goals and decisions. When I’d log into the app I would feel so focused on not drinking that it would take over my thought process and I’d drink delete the app and say this shots not for me. I’m not one of these people. I had read Annie Grace this Naked mind alcohol control a few months ago, it helped but I sti struggled. I then had a night out, drank 3-5 pitchers of Margaritas with friends. Woke up feeling like hot garbage and didn’t remember tucking my kid in. Decided then and there. Bought Annie Grace 30 day experiment of Alcohol Free and it truly made a huge difference. Not saying the urge didn’t pop up but it helped me. I did every exercise and finished. Getting ready to go to a men’s retreat this weekend and excited about it, when I signed up I was concerned about how I would sneak some fireball or bourbon in and cover my tracks(but I’m not like y’all, YEAH RIGHT). I say that to say this…I feel like for the first time in my life I don’t need it. I have been a drink since 15 nearly 40 now and the clarity in my head I have not experienced in years is back. I am enjoying more of life, I find my self being more grateful. Seriously like there’s a light at the end of a tunnel that’s not a train for the first time. When I would log on to the app and fail at day 2,3,4,5 you all were extremely supportive and for that I am grateful. I do feel like “not making it a big deal” and reading helped me but I look forward to continued relationships here. Thank you all.

16 Likes

Yes yes yes.

2 Likes

Anyone else read the Annie Grace this Naked mind or the 30 day experiment? Make logical sense out of something illogical

3 Likes

I’m almost finished with the book. I read it bits at time.

The Naked Mind helped a lot…but I found the 30 day experiment book by Annie Grace and reading the assigned day easy and nice to focus on it. I really feel changed

4 Likes

I’ll have to look into that!

Only book i read is the AA big book no celebrity books around when i got sober but if they help you stay long term the thats fine wish you all well

1 Like

For anyone not familiar, This Naked Mind is not a sober memoir by a celeb. The author does occasionally reference her own drinking past, but it is mostly about the hows and whys of the addictive nature of alcohol, (science, psychology, advertising, societal norms) and our relationship with it. Worth a read.

4 Likes

I listen to her podcasts each morning while I am getting ready for work. Just bought this book and can’t wait to see what it’s all about. :tulip:

4 Likes

I think those urges are with all of us for a very long time. I still get the odd urge at nearly 270 days. But the thing is how do we react to those urges. Sobriety gives us tools to recognize them for what they are and skills to help us get through them.

You are doing awesome. Good luck at your retreat. It will be amazing, I’m sure.

4 Likes

Thanks. Seriously about three months ago when I signed up I had already put a plan together in my mind…lots of big red gum and fireball airplane bottles should do the trick right? No one will have a clue right?..but hey I am not like the rest of you I am sooo much better!!!..So stupid, I am actually looking forward to meeting other business men and doing a hard reset this weekend. Who would have imagined…thanks for the support.

Parallel lives here…use the app, delete the app, install the app, reset every 2 to 3 days…I’m back again, keep trying and eventually it will stick! :heart:

3 Likes

The will to continue to try can breed success. Good for you for sticking with it and finding what works for you. Keep being curious and sober!

2 Likes

is this a recovery retreat? i’m intrigued :smile:

1 Like

i have not read but i get her emails and i really like them :slight_smile:

1 Like

No it is a men’s Christian business retreat and kind of a recharge type event according to my buddy who suckered me into it. I am not an overly religious person and don’t go to church but a follower of that Jesus guy for sure, he seems awesome.

1 Like

It’s the best book, you will bot regret it! X

2 Likes

I am hoping to start it this weekend. :blush:

2 Likes

hope you have a great time and get recharged! :zap:

1 Like

Wow. Those of you who asked about the retreat, it was a Christian retreat with men. Not my style, not my tribe…but sooooo much vulnerability in the room of 180 men. Drug and alcohol addicts, sexual victims and survivors of molestation, millionaires, folks who just got out of prison, and all the conversation and table talks, and speakers were genuine and powerful. I hate church but love that Jesus guy and found this weekend to be extremely recharging and eye opening. If you have an opportunity to go to souly business retreat do it.