4th time getting sober

Hi everyone I’m Taylia and I’m an alcoholic.
This is my 4th time trying to get sober. I’m struggling with the fact that I know I can’t enjoy a drink like “a normal 24 year old”, but I almost lost someone that means the world to me because of my behaviour whilst drunk so I’m here to prove to myself that I can do this and I don’t need alcohol to be a normal 24 year old!

5 Likes

You can do it. Stopping now will put you ahead of all the other 24 year olds who don’t realize they have a problem for another 10 years. You’ll be healthier and happier in the long run.

4 Likes

Welcome Tay! Sounds like you know what you need to do. Living life fully - being sober & not running to the numbness & escape of addiction - is going to take resolve; you’re gonna have to dig deep. You need to search for it like a person searches for water in the desert. It needs to be your too priority.

The good news is you never have to be drunk & reckless again. You know you want to be sober. Now all you have to do is find your people, people who help you be your full self, sober, and take it one day at a time.

Living sober is different from living with the “escape hatch” of addiction; there’s different emotional work involved, and you really get to know your full sober self with all the feels. It can be a bit overwhelming at times. Don’t hesitate to reach out here! There’s also many books & podcasts, and groups you can join which is helpful for having a space to talk. Many of them have online options:
Resources for our recovery

Welcome Tay!

1 Like

@Tay1 its always helpful to go back and reread your own posts. You already know you can’t drink like a normal person. You said it yourself. Something caused you to say that. In a few short months you’ve tricked yourself into believing you can.

4 Likes