5+Mnths{Clean}I've got a mind full of activities I LOVE but can't find motivation to do..? Any ideas

Hey guys I’m now 5+ months clean, longest clean stint in 6 years now.
Starting to want to do stuff eg. Lift weights, go for a run.
But still after 5 months I can’t find the motivation. Is this normalemphasized text

7 Likes

Welcome Tim. Congratulations on your 5+ months. Great job. Last year in the beginning of my sobriety I was doing a lot of working out and even more power walking. I walk a lot for exercise. Then last summer around 6 months I kind of hit a brick wall and got depressed and didn’t feel like doing anything. Fortunately for me I am retired. I got my walks in with my dogs early morning. And forced myself to power walk my 3 miles after. But after lunch I was pretty useless and unmotivated. And sat around on my deck checking in here reading and meditating and napping. I knew eventually it would pass. And if I didn’t drink it was a successful day. The way I figured it the only thing I HAD to do was not drink.
Again. Great job on being clean 5 + months.
:pray:t2::heart:

5 Likes

Hi Tim, welcome here. Interesting question, to which I can relate. Tomorrow I will be sober for 4 months. I started with a lot of motivation, plans and bucketlists etc. I’m still motivated and everything goes better when I’m not drinking. Work, relations (family, son and friends), also the plans and dreams are still there. But I think things normalize a bit, not everything is possible in one day, so for me its maybe about some impatience to start my new life, but it’s already there. I’m sober and what the hack if I have a lazy day as long as I don’t drink it’s fine to feel such way.

After nearly four months the addiction is raising his voice on a different way to me:

• is this it?
  • you get compliments all around, but you’re still worthless
  • you better have a drink?
  • one is possible, you’ve earned it?
  • you are fooling yourself idiot, it’s not going well at all. Have a drink…

It’s this devil, although he says it to me. I feel he is quite powerless. So no worries there.

Also wanna keep in mind addiction ruïnes body , mind and brains. There is a lot of research on that. Also on the fact that it will take some time for the brains the recover to enjoy new things and enjoying doing things again.

Hope this is is of any use to you, your question helped me writing this down. Thank you for that!

Keep up! Do the things you like, but might give it time. Good you’re here.

5 Likes

There isnt any secret to it I’m afraid, you just have to start. And do a tiny bit every single day. And you will gain momentum. Before you know it you will be asking yourself why did it take you so long to start coz its so enjoyable when your in good momentum and enjoying working out etc… I do the same thing. I relapse , then I go a month or two while in building up daily momentum with my morning routines and going to the gym etc… Every single time I’m like “why did I wait so long to start!!”… Just Start. No magic formula. Just start :pray::trophy::tada:

3 Likes

@TBC_19 Tim also I find having my “why’s” answered and clear as day helps me dramatically… What I mean is have your “why’s” as to why you want to start or do something. Write them down and put them visible on your bathroom mirror so you see the list daily. For example- why do you want to start working out daily? To look and feel better and amazing etc!! Why do you want to walk 10k steps a day?? Coz it gets you out in nature and its good for your soul!! Why do you want to do your laundry? So you have fresh clothes to work out in etc!!.. You get my drift… Know your “why’s” and make sure there authentic :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: … Also there is a book “atomic habits” by James clear - I HIGHLY recommend reading it. Its a game changer… @anon89207786 Jan have you finished it yet lol?! :thinking::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Once I’ve finished school, I’ll finish it, so in a few days I’ll resume reading

1 Like

Owwww you finish school in a few days!?? Your graduating?!

2 Likes

There’s a break between finals and finishing everything you have to finish before you’re allowed to take the finals. I’m now finishing the last 3 assignments and then I’m done

2 Likes

Mood follow action.

Motivation isn’t going to drive you toward action. It is the contrary.

It’s the behaviours that precede the motivation because it’s from action you get the reward.

And we are reward-driven being. I’d say especially addicts.

Doing nothing versus doing a tiny little action every day for a year:
(1.00)^365 = 1.00

(1.01)^365 = 37.7

Smaller steps are the more sustainable steps.

3 Likes

This post might be the most on-point and helpful one I have ever read on here.

From a guy who red 384k posts on here I’ll take it as a compliment :joy::joy:

1 Like

Hey TBC I got 16 months clean and I still go through the no motivation phases I comes and goes. What I can suggest is when the thought hits your mind jump up and get busy doing whatever it is that you want to do. Congratulations on 4 months.