6 months......possible trigger warning

I haven’t had a sip of alcohol in 6 months. For that, I’m thankful. But im having trouble dealing with life. The booze was my coping mechanism. Not proud of it, but it shut out the ugliness. I dont know. Sorry if i offended anyone, i just felt like i had to get that off my chest.

8 Likes

Congratulations on your 6 months Joey :muscle:t4::tada::tada:

I do know what you mean…when drinking I lived in a drunken bubble which kept me from feeling or dealing with life’s messiness.

Are you able to talk with someone in real life like a counselor or a therapist? It might help in figuring out a healthier way to deal when life gets lifey.

Wishing you luck on your journey. :people_hugging:

2 Likes

Yes, i see a therapist and a psychiatrist. Shits not working, lol.

4 Likes

Congrats on 6 months!! How long have you been seeing them for? Sometimes it not the right fit. Just because someone is a therapist doesnt mean they are a good one for you, have you consider seeing a different therapist?

1 Like

I actually really like and get along with both of them. They’re doing exactly what i would expect them to do to try and help me. I just cant put their tools into action. Im so stuck inside my head. Its like im imprisoned and lost at the same time.

4 Likes

Yoo, BIG congratulations for hitting those 6 months. My experience with therapists and psychiatrists during the 1st year were not great at all. I just had to remember that 15+ years of poisoning myself wasn’t going to get better in a few months. Just listening to people’s experiences and remembering that my body and mind needed a lot of time to heal made me feel somewhat better. It’s all about showing up at the beginning, then things slowly start working. Just keep up the good work and be proud of yourself. You’ve been doing a great job.

4 Likes

Congratulations :partying_face: on six months! That’s huge!

I’m with @Chino.Antrax on taking your time. Your whole being needs time to learn things, build trust, and start unfolding :lotus:.

What about sharing here on the forums? About your days, your feelings, your victories and your losses, your anger and your gratitude? Might help a bit.

Keep at your sobriety, and keep up your work :muscle:t2: :people_hugging:

1 Like

Glad you talk about it here as well, that helps a bit I think? At least that is for me :hugs:
Does your therapists knows about your addiction?
I think saying goodbye to an addiction is like dealing with a split up ore a good friend who died. It’s a mourning process. That takes time, lot of it.
And about coping strategies and replacing the old with new healthy ones? Also time :hugs:
I’m more then 5 years sober and still struggeling with my coping sometimes. Not drinking, but replacing it with other unhealthy ones like buying stuff I do not need for example. So learning still, but that is what recovery is for me: learning and growing :seedling: Step by step, day by day.
Congratulations for the 6 months and your progress! :confetti_ball::confetti_ball::confetti_ball:

1 Like