6 weeks sober from weed and still suffering from side effects

I’m new here and a bit nervous to post.
So I’ve been smoking weed for 15 years straight and now have been sober for 6 weeks. I left it all behind me when I went away on holiday. I got rid of everything before I left and came back to trying my best to create a new lifestyle.
The first couple of weeks were the hardest, pushing through the irritability and extreme anxiety (anxiety which I generally suffer from anyway due to the medication I take and a medical condition I have had since I was 10) but they have started to die down but two of the other side effects are still on going and are really bothering me. The first is night sweats, they’re horrible, they disrupt my sleep as I wake up covered and as you can imagine leaving me feeling pretty grim.
The second is the worst the vivid dreams and nightmares.
Some of which I cant honestly make out where my subconscious gets all it from because honestly some of them are a little disturbing for my mind. I sometimes wake up in the morning and sit on the edge of my bed contemplating if there is something wrong with me.
I guess I was just wondering if anyone else here has been going through the same thing? I feel like I can’t talk to anyone around me about this which makes me feel rather alone.
Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

7 Likes

Hi :wave:
Welcome to them community :raising_hand_woman:

I smoked for many years like you. Been well over 5 years since I stopped.
It was hard at first but definitely gets easier.
I vaguely recall when I quit I dreamt again and they were vivid as I just didn’t dream before whilst smoking.
6 weeks is huge congratulations :tada:
Hope to see you around and no need to be nervous it’s full of caring and supportive people here :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Well done for your five years :slightly_smiling_face:
And thank you I feel like quitting has been horrendously overdue for me.
No I didn’t dream while smoking either, it feels strange that it’s all suddenly come flooding back.

3 Likes

Been smoking for years too, I don’t really know how many, but for a decade I smoked from breakfast till bed. I clearly remember the night sweats when I stopped, especially because I made a lot of attempts. A lot. And everytime I had these night sweats and shivers. But it disappeared after a few days, one week maybe, I’m not sure. You still have them after 6 weeks ?

Vivid dreams too for sure. I know I’m going to say something I’m not supposed to, but I miss this absence of dreams, considering my dreams are generally painful. But it’s how life is supposed to be I guess, feeling everything.
I wish you strength, I have no idea why your shivering sweat nights side effects are stil strong.

3 Likes

Sorry I’m not sure what you mean by a few on the thread move with me: no weed (either I’m not forum literate or getting old lol)
Yes I have thought about talk therapy but the cost is a bit much for me at the moment considering the cost of food, bills and the fact that both my pets need expensive treatment each month now, I am looking into getting some discounted around the area I live.
I know what you mean, it seems like the smallest things can trigger a random but powerful dream. One example is discussing a passing helicopter with my mother in the middle of the day and then that night having a crazy dream about it.

3 Likes

Yes I was the same smoking from breakfast until bed.
I’m not sure why it’s still happening but if it doesn’t stop soon I guess the best I can do is speak to a doctor, not sure if they can actually do anything for me though.
I know what you mean, I missed the dreams too, I used to have some that would make me wake up and laugh and some that would be weird and vivid.
But this time it’s so powerful it kind of blows my mind, you are right, we feel everything in life and I guess my feelings have been dulled down due to the weed for a long time.

3 Likes

Sorry I have just found your link and realised what you ment.
I will have a good read through this but unfortunately cannot contact them as I live in a different country.
Thank you for the link you :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Yes I would very much appreciate that.
I don’t know if it would help with the therapy but I have started keeping a dream diary, I heard about it on a Facebook group.

Aaaaaw I love birds :heart::heart::heart: they are very much a stress reliever for me in general :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I partially remember the withdrawals, but they came and went. I often joke that when I was in therapy 27 years ago I was promised my memory would come back. I’m still waiting :grin: