60 days and feeling great! What have you gotten back in sobriety?

It’s only been 60 days (well 61 today but who’s counting heh), and I already feel like I have gotten so much of my life back. I am sleeping like a normal person, something I have envied for a long time, my appetite is right where it should be for someone as active as I am, and I feel great. From mountain biking, motorcycle riding, tennis playing, and training for a triathlon next month, everything I love doing is now at my fingertips once again. My girlfriend can’t stop telling me how much she loves me, and I can see it in her eyes even when she’s not. My parents are no longer confused and concerned but proud and anxious to hear about my days/weekends. This last weekend alone I worked out twice, swam twice, went mountain biking and road biking, played tennis, went to church, and went to a big sober barbecue at the treatment center I attended. My energy levels are through the roof, and I love being able to use it for the things I love doing. The things that make me, me! Since returning from treatment I was laid off from work due to those lovely corporate layoffs, but my mindset is so different I wasn’t even extremely upset, because in my heart of hearts I know it will be ok. What have you guys gotten back in sobriety?!

9 Likes

I’m proud of you man. I want to get to that point. I want to get to the point where I can be around d people who drink and choose not to. Feel like I have the power bank in my life to say no. Ive been working out almost everyday and meditation as well. Went on a 36 hour binge this weekend and I’m feeling it today. I hate it. I felt amazing when I was working out sometimes twice a day. One day I worked out twice and player ball. I kept up with a 16 year old kid and I smoke a lack a day. Smoking is the next thing to go. Keep up the great work @evphil

2 Likes

Congratulations and way to make the most of your new sober energy! It was radiating off of your post, made me want to hop up and get moving right now.

2 Likes

One day at a time @Dre! I definitely know all about the benders, my last one put me in the ER for the first time with a .45 BAC, I was definitely in rough shape and knew something drastic needed to happen. Giving up alcohol forever was and is still an odd thing and difficult thing to come to grips with. But if I can have everything else, or alcohol, it would be insane to keep choosing alcohol as I have been.

2 Likes

Wow @C-sun that’s a lot! Having gotten two DUIs myself just over a year apart about four years ago, I definitely know the strain of having legal issues over your head. The uncertainty, the feeling of your life being completely over, it’s all just awful. My first DUI involved a bad car crash which should have been plenty to keep me sober, but alas my guilt drove me the other way. I’m glad to hear of all the things you’ve gotten back, and the other things you have come to grips with. Life is just a bit crazier when dealing with everything g sober, but so much more beautiful. Keep up the good work!

1 Like

Thank you @justbreathe77 and @MrsJones! Joy and freedom are definitely two big things alcohol robs us of. The motivation to do anything outside of complete obligation is another.

2 Likes