7 days until I quit smoking

One week from today I’m having some dental work done. I’ve been a smoker for about 16 years, and I’ve thought about quitting many times and never went through with it. I’m looking at getting this work done as a good reason to quit as I’m hearing a lot of horror stories about getting dry rot or whatever it’s called. I’m just wondering if anyone has any tips or advice as I’m running on pure fear of having more mouth pain hahaha.

1 Like

Dry sockets

Its unbearable, I struggle with quitting myself I went without cigarettes for a month only to get a pack at my first chance

1 Like

Try nicotine patches maybe??

1 Like

Thought I’d plonk this here :point_down:

Good luck!!!

3 Likes

Were you craving them badly for that month? I think after a week or two I should be okay. I really don’t know tho

Yes I think I’m going to look into that. Thanks!

1 Like

Thank you! I will probably be using that thread a lot. The title looks very fitting to how I’ll be for a while hahaha

1 Like

For me it was the taste and the sensation, that’s what gets me.

I was so mentally focused on smoking that it didn’t matter that I wasn’t smoking

Hola, my suggestion would be to stop now. Nicotine narrows blood vessels. This leads to possible infections which only become visible after you quit(because the blood starts flowing again normally which might lead to bleeding gums) So better to quit now so the dentist can potentially take care of that as well.
(Autobiographical advice😉)
Good luck

1 Like

Oh wow I never heard of this. I’m really pumping myself up mentally to quit. I have less than 7 days until I see the dentist. That advice is just another reason for me to quit so thank you for that.

My experience quitting nicotine was that I was super uncomfortable for about 3 weeks. Cravings were intense and would make my skin crawl. Then it was all done. I used to chew tobacco. Every now and again I reminisce about the burn in my lip I could feel when dipping but nothing compared to mental alcahol cravings.

Hi :raising_hand_woman:

I smoked for 27 years…quit August 20, 2020…I can’t even tell you how many times I attempted. Had a couple good runs, but fell back until this last one. I’ll say the first month is where you’ll experience your hardest cravings, but it’s not an all day thing…they sneak up in your head, and you just have to distract yourself with a walk or something for 5 or ten minutes.

After a month I felt pretty good…not many cravings at all, and by month 3. I felt like a non smoker…talk about a strange feeling…but good. Real good. You just have to remind yourself that it’s behind you…just like giving up drinking.

I only used NRT for three days…it only kept me personally in an addicted loop. Cold Turkey was the best way for me…you’ll have to see what your most comfortable with.

You can do this…it feels daunting at first, but as those days go by your resolve just gets stronger!

Wishing you every success!!!

:grinning::dizzy::raised_hands:t2::sun_with_face::ocean: