8 Days Sober - Because I Deserve It

In 4 hours, I’ll officially have 8 days free from the grip of suboxone. I tried posting here when i was under 3 days and having a brutal time detoxing. I was using tramadol (prescribed, btw) to take the edge off the worst symptoms. It worked fairly well.

Other than 1 person who was very supportive (thank you for that), i started to get a chorus of “that’s not a good idea.” I think what’s really not a good idea is to take people in early sobriety and pontificate without offering any encouragement or alternative. Ive heard of people using weed or other substitutes to get off dope and i could never imagine critiquing someone’s journey. Anyone who’s gone through the hell of cold turkey also had the luxury of taking a wk or two off from life and its responsibilities. Some of us only have ourselves to depend on.

In any event, i woke up Sunday with an enormous burst of energy (lasted 2 hours lol) and a giant smile. For me, 5 days was the hump i needed to get over and it feels amazing to not depend on anything to get out of bed in the morning. I’ll probably get rid of the subs and tramadols that are still in the house; it scared me a little that this morning it crossed my mind for a split second that i could take a sliver of a sub, clean my house, and do chores. Fuck that! It looks like a dump in here right now, but everyday im getting stronger and housework will be there when I’m 100%.

I guess i wanted to post this to encourage others. No one has THE WAY that’s gonna work for everyone. I had 8 years off heroin (used subs for 3 weeks that time to get clean), fell back for a year, and it’s over this time. Have my first meeting in a few hours and, for the first time ever, I’m really looking forward to it.

One day at a time, my friends :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Welcome! Congrats on your 8 days!! I don’t see any other posts you have made, so I can’t speak to thaf issue. I do know there are as many different sober journeys as there are members…one size does not fit all. I hope you will stick around and continue your sober journey with us!

1 Like

There’s nothing wrong with using subs to get off of opiates and I’m sorry that you got some responses from people who clearly don’t know just how hard it is to get clean of heroin. I’ve done cold turkey twice and a rapid sub taper at least six times as I just didn’t have it in me to go through It cold turkey for a third time.
Your clean and that’s all that matters,I’m happy that you have found your way to it and to this place @FreddieBearsMom.
I look forward to seeing more of you around here,reach out when you feel the need and feel free to pm me if you think that there’s anything that I can do to help in any way… welcome to the community. :slight_smile::blush::slight_smile::blush:

1 Like

Hi Fargesia, Thanks. Im reading am Australian accent into your comment. :slight_smile:

It was actually a different profile that i asked to have deleted. I just didn’t have the energy and i was raw. Everything that wasn’t encouraging felt too draining. But when i searched, i saw that a lot of us are defensive and unsteady in the beginning. I just don’t think that’s a good use of energy.

But, yeah, you nailed it. Ive been trading vices for 4 decades and am NOT someone who can have opioids in the house. I have a friend who’s really strung out right now. Before i trash them, I’m kinda hoping she might want to try a way out. Fingers crossed

2 Likes

Hi sassyrocks, it was a different profile that i asked to have deleted. I didn’t have the energy to debate and planned on coming back when i hit 10 days but im pretty much feeling normal already. The fatigue is just gonna take time to work itself out and normalize.

But thank you! Im really grateful to be able to post this time drug free. :slight_smile: I was getting very anxious that i wasn’t seeing a way out this time.

1 Like

Welcome to the forums! Congratulations on 8 days clean :partying_face:
Thank you for sharing your story.
How did you experience your first meeting?

1 Like

Hi NL, thanks for the welcome. :slight_smile: it was really good. I haven’t been in the rooms in years, but I’d generally be last person in and first person out. I did the opposite today. It was so good to meet a couple of really nice people