8 Days Sober. Trying to talk myself out of drinking

I am 8 days sober. Atm am sitting in parking lot contemplating a drink or two. It’s a paralyzing feeling. I know deep down that if I drink one I won’t stop. Uggg I feel so angry. Why can’t I just have one drink? Or why do I want yo drink when I know how manipulative alcohol is. How miserable it has made my life and almost destroyed it. Help!!!

5 Likes

Don’t do it. Go home or go for a ride and listen to some good tunes. Get your mind off thinking about it. Stay strong :muscle:t3: you are stronger than the urge.

3 Likes

Yes. That’s all it is it’s an urge. My body will do what my mind tells it. I’m on way home now. Going to take a nice hot shower. I keep thinking about how awesome it will feel to be victorious. When I wake up in the morning feeling great because I didn’t drink is always a plus. Thank you for your encouragement Dragonflygirl! I don’t have anyone that can support me in real life. They just don’t understand.

4 Likes

Anytime!! Always here to listen and relate to. Your gonna feel amazing tomorrow. Each day is a victory. :heart:

2 Likes

This is my first time on here. Think I’ll be back! TY!

2 Likes

Good job guys!! Someone needed support and somebody gave support. Pretty cool to see :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Love being there like others on here have been for me. :blush:

2 Likes

You are in charge, not your thoughts. You see them, you feel it, you label it - selfish hunger, the “addict voice”, whatever you label that emotion - then you let it pass on its own. It will pass.

If you’re feeling curious have a look at some of these resources - you will definitely find one that speaks to you:
Resources for our recovery

Welcome to Talking Sober!

2 Likes

Don’t do it grab a gatorade, blue it taste good with chips and red hot suasage you should be ok, Welcome

2 Likes

Thank you Matt. Right up my alley. It’s ok to feel and to even mourn and then let it go. Let it be ashes.

1 Like

Well done, turning around and going home when you are already out is very hard but you did it!!

1 Like

I did do it!! I’m so proud! And feeling good this morning. Little groggy but better than waking up from drinking. It’s been over a year since I was able to make it past a week. 9th day. Tomorrow double digits!

2 Likes

Thank yall for your support. It’s like WOW!

@Josie819 I just had the same experience! Been for a 6mile walk this morning. Done all the house work. Then got my daughter down for nap (she’ll sleep about 2 hrs) and thought ‘oooo just one. A nice cold drink and relax in the garden’.

WTF!!???! I mean WTF!?! I’m on day 5. I’ve been smashing it. I so so so happy with myself. Why is this happening now?

I waited a minute. Had a think. Went the fridge and took out a nice cold can of Diet Coke. Now I’m sunbathing in the garden reading up on here and I’m drinking my coke and not even wishing it was alcohol.

It will pass. Learn to say no as soon as the thought comes. Learn to say no as soon as alcohol is offered. Learn to say no to the most important drink. The first one.

Well done you! Stay strong my friend and come back and visit us whenever you need :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wow! What an inspiration. Thank you for sharing your struggle and victory today. Helps me remember that I’m not alone. Today is all we have. Cherish it! Cheers to reading a good book while sunbathing and drinking an ice cold non alcohol drink !

1 Like

I know how you are feeling, I know exactly what you are going through. At 8 days, your body has done a pretty good job of getting it out of your system but the psychological draw is still quite strong. Like many of us though, you have figured out we can’t have just one or two…stay strong. This will pass.

1 Like