8 month soberversary!

Celebrating another month sober, 8 months free from alcohol. Thank you all for being there on my journey with me. :purple_heart:

36 Likes

Congrats @Kareness!!! That’s wonderful!

3 Likes

@Kareness. Congratulations I’ll happily keep chasing your numbers and I never want to pass you😜. Great job.

3 Likes

Have I just not seen you in a while. Are you still doing good?

1 Like

@Forged, is this an AA meeting? Lol. I will write something in a little bit…

My gray cat likes your gray cat, by the way!

2 Likes

Great job @Kareness!!! :sparkling_heart::sparkling_heart::sparkling_heart:

1 Like

congratulations :smiley: Thanks for being a huge part of the community

1 Like

How I did it:

• “HOW”: by being “H” - Honest “O” - Open and “W” - Willing (“H” could also stand for Humble. I had to become humble)
  • By being kind to myself, especially at the beginning since I wasn’t used to it
  • By reaching out when I felt like shit.
  • By going to meetings and LISTENING to what was said. At the beginning I pretty much just soaked it up.
  • By putting sobriety first. The most important thing you can do each day is not pick up. If that is ALL you do, it’s been a good day.
  • By having an interest I could pursue. At the beginning, I mostly read fiction and books about sobriety.
  • By taking that next indicated step. I paid a lot of attention to my emotions and how I was feeling. They told me when I needed to do something. Like add another meeting, or get more help with the twins. or recently running (Hey @Elisabeth @C-sun @Rex and others!)
  • By spending a lot of “me” time. Now I am ready to be more sociable and will be adding fun and people to my plan (I get to pick what I want to do!).
  • By coming often to this site and reading or posting.
  • By recognizing that feelings are temporary and that they will come and go, both good and bad
  • By doing small things that will make my life a little better and give me hope. Having a clean car, or going through one box in the garage can count.
  • By having a financial plan for the saved money from not drinking. I hired a financial planner around the same time as my first sobriety date (I relapsed for one night after I had about 68 days in mid-December) and I let him do the worrying for me (most days at least). Knowing I did NOT want to go back to the financial shape I was in while I was drinking has helped me on more than one occasion not to go down the rabbit hole.
  • By having goals like losing a few pounds and buying a house. They give me inspiration.
  • By not spending time with people who were not good for me, even if I had known them for a long time. YOU are what’s most important in your own sobriety.
  • By having a LOT of non-alco things I like to drink on-hand. I like Kombucha and morning coffee.
  • By having munchies or gum handy.

Thank you for reading and have a great, sober day!! :purple_heart::blue_heart:

20 Likes

Woohoo way to go!!!

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your how!!

1 Like

Welcome back! I’m glad you are here :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Congrats! Great job, thank you for sharing your journey :purple_heart:

1 Like

Wow! Thank you for this post. Happy birthday!

1 Like

@Kareness. Congrats. Good for you. Now on to 270 days.

1 Like

Congratulations @Kareness! Thanks for sharing your tips and inspiration.

Thanks @LeilaBird! Although my new sponsor is tough - she says I need to start counting from my sobriety date by months instead of by 30 day increments - so 8 months is 8/14/17, which is 243 days. So I guess I jumped the gun! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Congratulations. What an inspiration to those who are still struggling. Keep up the great work.

1 Like

That’s a great answer!