A lifelong drinker hits 1200 days sober

Thank you so much @Chevy55, @Hopeful32 and @Jennx …as well as everyone who has responded since I first shared. It is always gratifying when my story speaks / touches others. I too find solace, comfort, strength, knowledge from the many experiences and shares here on TS. :heart::people_hugging:

Sobriety has brought even more peace and healing since first writing this, as well as the usual life stuff. 2023 was particularly challenging…and sobriety helped me navigate it and lean on my sober toolbox. I found a zoom therapist (I live very rural) who reminded me of my inner resources + leaned into friends here and IRL (thank you mod squad past and present and others).

Sobriety always felt so out of reach, 60 days, 90 days, a year…seemed truly impossible. Yet every day is a new chance and we can keep moving forward. My life is far from perfect …that is a fantasy…but my brain is mostly a loving and calm place to live now and that chaos and shame cycle is my past. Today is a beautiful day to be 2,504 days sober. Never give up on your self. :heart::heart::heart: Together we are stronger. :people_hugging:

13 Likes

Thank you for sharing and congratulations on your amazing accomplishment! It’s stories like yours that are motivating me and many others to stay strong. :muscle::green_heart:

1 Like

You ARE inspiring!! Although my visits here are infrequent I will never abandon this place and these people. My people. The most interesting people I have known are addicts. Truth. As you know through our interactions I am a 5 decade plus self abuser. I let go of the past. I accept the present. I have faith in the future. You do rock miss sassy. Indeed. Much love :heart:

4 Likes

Thank you friend!! It is always a pleasure seeing you ‘pop by’!! Love your phone background. Such an amazing blessing having the opportunity to change the road we were on. :v::heart::slightly_smiling_face:

@YesNoMaybe, glad you found it motivating!! Definitely the hardest and best thing I ever did for myself.

5 Likes

Everything in this article, your story resonates with me. I’ve shared most on my IG stories. The one thing I never thought of until reading it here….”my grandchildren will never see a drunk grandma”

I’m so sorry for my daughters who did, this is what I’m working to heal now.

Thank you for sharing so much wisdom. Life, sober is so awakening :high_brightness:

3 Likes

I really enjoyed this naked mind others include sober girl, society, how to quit drinking for women by Alan Carr (actually, the first book of his I read was on smoking…the. I read then I read how to quit drinking for women) And I also really enjoyed the unexpected joy of being sober.

1 Like

Grateful this post got bumped recently; this was my first time seeing it. Beautifully written, and inspiring. Like many others on here I’m sure, I see a lot of my own behaviours and concerns in it, and I am inspired by the positive life turnaround and reflections in it.

1 Like

Thank you @Healthysoberme and @PositiveThoughts, I am glad my story resonated for you. :heart: Tomorrow I hit 7 years or 2,557 days!! Keep moving forward!

6 Likes

7 years tomorrow!!
That is amazing! I am so happy for you Sassy.

I’m grateful for your warmest welcome here on my first day of sobriety. I sometimes think I wouldn’t be sober if I hadn’t met you on my first day here. I know there is an infinite amount of people you’ve brought to sobriety by your welcoming heart and experience and strength. You will always have a special place in my heart.
:heart:

6 Likes

Wow, that teared me up! We are all so blessed to have had others welcome us here. I am glad we are on this journey together. :people_hugging:

4 Likes