A New Path

My parents are alcoholics, and have been all of my life. I just came back from visiting them for a couple of weeks, and they have gone way further down the rabbit hole than ever before. It was bad. After a long history of alcohol abuse, getting drunk has more recently become a daily habit of mine, so my plan prior to leaving for this visit was to dry out for a bit once I got back. But witnessing the increasing severity of my parents’ disease has driven my need to turn this dry-out into an end. I recognise that I am on the very same path that they followed. I refuse to become them. I wish so badly I could be better than them, and find that middle place between too much and nothing at all, but I suppose the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.

I’m 2 days sober. Tonight, I can’t sleep a wink, and I’m sweating profusely, but I am absolutely buzzing with all of the things I have planned. My plan is to focus my energy and time on excersise, nutrition, reading, writing, meditation, learning new things, nurturing my marriage and friendships, getting involved with my community, and working on growing and improving my and my husband’s business. I’ll take it one day at a time, and try to ride the rough waves out as they come. I am looking so forward to finding new energy, getting my memory back, growing wiser, and feeling and looking healthy and radiant.

Thanks for reading.

32 Likes

i wish you the best on your journey! :heart:

2 Likes

Hang in there, it just gets better!

1 Like

:+1:t3:Day 10 here. Here’s to a new path :green_heart:

6 Likes

Welcome Mona. Happy to have you aboard on this journey of a lifetime. Congrats on taking the decision to be sober. IMHO for people like us, people who obviously have problems with regulating their alcohol intake, the only way is the one we both are taking now. And it’s a great way I’m telling you. We don’t miss anything by completely abstaining from alcohol. It’s poison. There is so much to be gained. Like making all the dreams you have into a reality. Welcome again and success!

3 Likes

same here my dad drank and smoked but I started by myself and stopped it save my life I got 95 days and thank God

6 Likes

Here’s to you @Iwebt Mona on your journey. I’ve got a similar story and still show strength and desire to continue after drinking all of my adult life. So can you!!

1 Like

Welcome Mona 🙋
This app is a great one, so glad you found it!
We are all in the same boat here one way or another. My addiction is alcohol too. It helps me to be here every day to check in sober. It keeps me focussed. So I hope to see you around often.
Come here when you need it, we’re here for you :heart:

1 Like

Maybe try a meeting wish you well

1 Like

Welcome Mona! Talking Sober is a great place to be. The people here are some of the best! They are always willing to lend an ear or give advice when asked or needed. Read and post often. We are all rooting for you, we all got your back! Best of luck on your sober journey.

1 Like

Welcome, Mona! My dad has struggled with alcohol his whole life as well. Seemed to be the norm in his military career. He was “functional” mostly. Mum hated alcohol. When she died a few years ago from cancer, dad spiraled out of control. He had no reason to stop. He stopped once my little man was born, but recently had relapsed HARD. My first reaction was I wanted a drink! Ridiculous, I know. “I hate you booze! But I want to drink you!” But now I’m trying to fuel my hate for booze as motivation. I see what it’s doing to my poor dad. I don’t want my son to see that happen to me. I feel I’m “catching it early”. I have fleeting thoughts of “I’m not that bad. I can moderate”. But the more I read here, I see that if I’m consciously needing to moderate, that’s a problem. I need to do this for me. My son. My mum. I’m learning SO MUCH here on this forum. Support like I couldn’t have imagined. Welcome to you. :blush:

4 Likes

Welcome @Iwebt and @Joshua_Austin
You’ve come to a great place to help you on your new path! Lots of support, wisdom, and information. Definitely avail yourself of it!
We are glad you are here!

2 Likes

Congrats and well done! My two weeks in has been one of the best decisions I’ve made in quite some time.

2 Likes

Thanks all. A massive congratulations on your journies so far. Thank you especially to those of you who spoke about your own experiences as children of alcoholic/addicted parents. When I lived in a city, and had access to meetings, Al-anon was extremely beneficial. If you haven’t already tried it, I highly recommend giving it a go. I live in a much smaller, rural community now, and unfortunately meetings of any sort are no longer an option. But sounds like this forum is a great alternative to start with. Thanks for taking the time to read and reach out.

Hell of a list. Nothing happens overnight so don’t get discouraged if it all doesn’t happen overnight or on your expected timeline.

You finished that thought with a great flourish though, we take it 1 day at a time, and we take the good with the bad. Has been a recipe for success for myself in the last 19 months of being sober.

Welcome to the community, hope to see you around, hope to see you share your experience, strength and hopes.

2 Likes

let’s do this. Buckle up tight it’s a bumpy ride but the destination is amazing

3 Likes

HELLO THERE!!! I wish you and everyone reading this a joyous day!

My parents too, were/are alcoholics. The disease facilitated one’s death by suicide when I was 11, the other (dad) has been in recovery himself now for, gosh, 33 years, I think. 32 years? I vowed I’d never become my parents. I won’t get into the story of my past with them, or my 50 years of of life history, but as I look back, I was becoming them. It’s not the same story for everyone; i.e., not all of us become our parents in this aspect, but as my father would say, the disease is patient, and it certainly was with me. It was in my late 40s that things like “craving” and “obsession” truly set in.

Now some 110, 118 days or something into my recovery, I’m grateful to not have become mom, and really grateful now to have become like dad - an in good standing member of Alcoholics Anonymous.

The unable to sleep - that was probably 10 days for me. The sweats were probably 2 days, but everyone is different; however, your body will heal.

When you say looking healthy and radiant - persons in our circle, some of whom don’t know I’m now in recovery have said “wow! you look great! you look radiant!” - I’m of the belief, for me anyway, the radiance is coming from within, and perhaps from the spiritual progress I’ve been making. The outward, though, I must say, that $5,000 under eye surgery to get rid of the bags? Yeah, I don’t need that. :slight_smile:

I wish you a wonderful journey. The happiness and the joy are truly priceless.

In Peace and Serenity,

J

4 Likes