A question for everyone who started working out in sobriety

So, I know many of you started to workout when you stopped drinking. I am also feeling the pull to workout as a way to get rid of anxious energy and create positive, healthy behaviours. I have been walking a minimum of an extra 2mi a day for the past few weeks and am loving it. My question is: how did ya’ll start? The thought of going to the gym is so daunting to me.

12 Likes

You start by what you’re doing now. Continue walking those two miles every day. After you get used to it after 2-3 weeks, add another half a mile a week. Then, when you get to let’s say, 5 miles, start incorporating a light jog into that walking routine. You can, let’s say, jog 1 mile and then walk the other 4 miles. Starting off small and working your way up is key to a steadfast routine. That way, you can engrain it in your psyche.
This of course is just an example. You don’t necessarily need to go to a gym at first. Right now, I’m doing pushups and situps every day and run every other day. As time goes on, I’m going to slowly ease my way into a gym. Don’t bite off more than you can chew. Our bodies weren’t accustomed to this when we were doing our vices. That’s my adivce, amigo. You got this! ^.^

3 Likes

I have never been to a gym either. I started convict conditioning before sobering up. It uses your own bodies weight and teaches you how to perform these excercises correctly. It doesn’t burden you, as it strengthen your body evenly. You can proceed at your own pace. It can be done indoors, so it’s good in lockdown or for introverts.
Running is also something you can start gradually. Going outside can help you fight with anxiety and depression.

4 Likes

I started small when I began introducing physical activity into my life…just like you are doing with your walks. I started a couch to 5K to begin running, which I always wanted to do. I also signed up for a basic move your body course by our local health center and that jump started me into loving fitness classes. I took Jazzercise classes and loved the energy of them. All this was pre covid and I am comfortable going to in person classes anymore.

There are so many online classes you can follow or free YouTube videos for yoga, light strength training, weights, anything you want to add in.

The C25K I follow is particularly good for me as it builds your stamina very slowly, so more gentle on older knees and body.

If you enjoy walking, add in a little extra time each day or a longer walk one day etc.

Being consistent, building up slowly and finding something you love are key IMHO.

:hugs:

3 Likes

Personally i just started doing it in the morning after my coffee before shower. I just do pushups, situps, pullups and squats. Wheb i started i was 108lbs and im 5’11". Now im 152lbs. When i first started i could only do like 5 pushups lol, now i do 60 in about 90 seconds. Honestly now it feels great to do it every morning and i dont feel as good that day if i dont. Just keep in mind the first 2 or 3 weeks youll be really sore, but thats a good thing. So when you first start give yourself a day or two to recover, soon youll be able to do it everyday without being sore at all. Hope this helps.

3 Likes

I have been an on and off exerciser my entire life. Starting slow with walking, then picking up the pace is good advice. Regarding gyms…there are different types. I go to Planet Fitness. They are everywhere in the US. Not sure where you are. There are all types of people there…old, young, fit, large, small…I like it because I work out a set time then reward myself with the massage chair. I also go because I need to improve my muscle mass and need weights to do that. I tend to be rather a weakling. Any gym I have been to was very low key. Nobody cared what I was doing. No posers. Just regular people doing their own thing. Also, I like the variety of things to do there. I get bored easily so having choices helps.

2 Likes

Thanks heaps to everyone for the advice! :orange_heart:

1 Like

Personally I would never attend a gym, paying money to make a fool of myself in panorama windows for everyone to watch. Ain’t gonna happen. I don’t have a driver’s license so i walk everywhere, we’ve got about a 15- 20 mins walk just to get to the store or school. Besides that I’m following some training from home video accounts on YouTube and looks for exercise ideas on Pinterest.

I know the Swedish army also have some of their train videos on their homepage. But I’m not brave enough to try those out yet.

Start small doing something you enjoy and feel comfortable with. Even if that’s just a walk. Anything is better than nothing at all. :blush:

3 Likes

I started on bike gone and going on bike tours with buddes,walking,than im going to start to run,and than im going to workout calistenics or im going to Rowling club

1 Like

If they are all like the one I just found, I would die. My idea of getting into shape will probably involve wildly dancing around my kitchen and singing Bonny Tyler into my ice cream spoon. I am so not försvarsmaktens hope for the future. Haha

3 Likes

I prefer to make a fool of myself in exercise classes. I even fell once doing some weird-ass scissor running thing down the hall. Fortunately, it was a carpeted hallway! I was able to laugh at myself. My name is not Grace!

If I tried it would probably be more like a Goofy episode than an actual workout. I’m the type of person who trips on my own feets, occasionally walking into lampposts, good looking guys in the store, drops everything I holds. Yesterday I dropped my phone in the pot of gravvy. Luckily it wasn’t that hot, and thick enough to not get in everywhere.
And with that I haven’t even mentioned the time I accidentally sat down in the wooden craft teachers lap at our local library. I think you get the idea on how me at the gym would look like :joy:

1 Like

That’s an excellent way of getting into shape. If you got Chromecast you can try just dance. It costs a little bit, but it’s so much fun.

Dude, you bump into good looking guys at the grocery store?! I’m also clumsy as hell but your clumsiness sounds wayyy more fun! :yum:

To OP: start slow and add things you enjoy. I tried the gym once and it wasn’t for me, I get distracted and start comparing myself to everyone, it’s just toxic for me. I excercise at home and have quite a good setup now. Do things your way and revise what you can improve regularly! Have fun!

2 Likes

There are so many different ways to get exercise. Just find something that interests you. Maybe dance or boxing, yoga, bike riding, hiking… if it gets you moving your good!

Edit… i started 5x5 weight lifting because i like doing that.

I started by setting a goal to do something. It could be running a marathon or triathlon or hiking a section of the Appalachian Trail. Then build a program that gets you moving towards your goal.

For me, my goal was to earn a black belt in a martial art. I chose Krav Maga and found a school that offered this training, plus Muay Thai and BJJ. I started with Krav, and added Muay Thai. I go to classes 4 times a week.

Once the fuse was lit, I started training and practicing at home. My garage turned into a fight gym, starting with a pull-up bar, a free standing punching bag, a couple of kettlebells and an old area rug for flooring. Now I have a hanging heavy bag, double end bag, ground bag, and striking dummy, plus jump rope, all manner of weights and gymnastic rings, all on rubber mat flooring. I train most mornings.

I’m testing for my second level red belt, which if I pass, puts me two tests away from black belt.

This is why I recommend choosing a specific challenge, goal, or destination. It gives us something tangible and measurable to work towards.

“If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time”

Zig Zigler

2 Likes

It happens, one time I even got invited to a bbq party when I bumped into the same guy twice during the same shopping trip. Not everyone are that friendly, but luckily I’ve been living at the same place like forever, so most people does stay away from me nowdays :joy: they know I’m a walking Americs funniest episode.

1 Like

This is probably the funniest sentence I’ve ever read! Thank you for this!

1 Like

I added the tag ‘fitness’ to your post - if you click it you will find some other active threads where people post updates. Worth checking out for inspiration as well as having people to keep accountable :grin:

1 Like