A Question for the Ladies...(sorry fellas)

Hi girls, I was wondering if I could ask a very personal question? Have any of you noticed a change in your menstrual cycle since giving up alcohol? I only ask as I don’t normally get anything but suddenly today, Mother Nature has called! It may be completely unrelated, which is fine, but thought I’d ask if anyone else had any experiences.
My apologies if this is an inappropriate question for the forum.

3 Likes

Thanks @anon67035918, that’s a big help. I thought it must be. Got home tonight really stressed out and REALLY wanting to drink! Was seriously thinking of resetting but then went to the loo and hey presto! Not sure if it’s a relief or not but glad I didn’t buy any wine. :grimacing:

3 Likes

Something I have discovered in sobriety is the impact on me of hormone changes throughout the cycle. I never really got why there was such a stereotype around PMS. I always had some kind of substance in my body and had zero connections to what was going on. Now, in sobriety, it’s like “WHOAH, so this is that PMS thing everyone talked about!” In the week before, I get moody, tearful, emotionally sensitive, tired and feeling pretty wacky. This is even with an IUD, and not having regular periods, just spotting. But the hormones are CRAZY. I am only really realising this recently, as the PAWS has started to level out, and my caffeine and sugar intake are minimal, and of course with total abstinence from alcohol and drugs. It is helpful to be aware of, because I know what it is about and know it will pass. And I know to be extra kind to myself and not to drink to stop the insane feelings.

7 Likes

YESSSS!!! Thank you for being so honest and letting me know @aircircle. I really felt like I was going mad today. Very very moody and tired this morning, then evil this evening and about an hour ago I just wanted to cry my eyes out. I have the implant, so like you I shouldn’t really have anything happening but I’m guessing that this may be a sign that I’m doing the right thing by my body? I’m only 7 days sober but this is the cleanest I’ve ever been in my life. I guess its just going to be part of the journey then? Thank you x

1 Like

Yes, just accept and roll with it. Although the period is not the same with an IUD, there are still hormone fluctuations and they are INTENSE in sobriety. Cry if you need to, be extra kind to yourself, and trust that it will pass. It could also be PAWS. https://www.addictionsandrecovery.org/post-acute-withdrawal.htm

Stay focused and trust that you are doing the right thing and stay strong. :revolving_hearts:

5 Likes

Hi again @anon67035918 I just read that thread you sent me a link to. Brilliant, thank you for sharing that. Can’t believe that women who drink tend to hit menopause several years earlier than those who don’t! What have we been doing to ourselves?? I’m shocked :scream:

3 Likes

Hi again @aircircle I’ve just read all about PAWS, thanks for sending the link. I’ve never heard of PAWS before. Im so glad you’ve shown me but now im not sure whether to be kind of pleased that my body is really starting to adjust, or feel slightly terrified now that it could last for up to 2 years to fully adjust.
I think I might just go to bed and have a little cry :cry:.
At least I haven’t had a drink. Not sur I’m liking all these ‘feelings’ though. Not used to it. Too hard x

It gets better with time. It’s different for everyone, but it does get better! It is good to know about because these things are often reasons that drive people to relapse because they are not used to the feelings and the discomfort. It was important to me to trust that they were normal and they will pass. For me, they aren’t constant, it is like a rollercoaster - they come and go. The most important thing is to keep moving forward. Oh and I cry OFTEN, though less often now than in my first few months. I had a lifetime of repressed emotions to get out of my system. It is ok. You are ok. You are doing the right thing. Stay with us :slight_smile:

3 Likes

My cycles were normal for a bit then they were coming a week to three weeks late then on time again, the one thing I did notice was that I’m a hormonal wreck and cry a lot a week before I’m due on

1 Like

I’ve been on mirena for almost 13 years. That, plus pregnancy before that I haven’t had a cycle in nearly 14 years!! Woo hoo. Yay me.

Sorry.

3 Likes

But I should add…

Since my emotional rollercoaster seems to drop every month or so I have wondered if it is sober milestone related OR girlie cycle related.

1 Like

First one (sober 2 weeks prior): I noticed some SIGNIFICANT bowel movements my gosh the cramps were awful. The second one (almost a month in sobriety) was weeks late! But I chalked it up to stress. The third one (2 months clean) was a breeze! I have yet to study the next :sweat_smile:

Don’t stress Bella, you’re on a beautiful path… may be a little messy at this moment, literally, but snuggle up and pamper yourself :heart: God knows you deserve it

2 Likes

@VSue I am envious! X