A story, and an 11 Days Sober Selfie

I almost had a beer last night. We went out to our normal place here in Vancouver WA for dinner. The PNW is just full of breweries. Our server I noticed did not ask us if we would “like drinks” but if we would “like something to drink.” My husband was helping to gently guide me by saying come on, you’ve made it 10 days. You don’t need it. So right at the time I was possibly going to order something, I decided to get water with lemon. It was a close one.
At the end of our meal the server was taking our plates away and he was really friendly. We always have him as our server and I mentioned that we have both gone sober. He got this big smile on his face and said “I’ve been 3 years sober. I used to drink a pint of vodka a day and one day I just decided that this is gotten old and I didn’t want to do it anymore.”
This server works in a bar and serves drinks all the time. Right after we finished our conversation he started walking away and the woman behind us said out loud to both of us. Wow! You guys are amazing. You know that? And they started talking while we walked away. But I heard the server say my mother is in liver failure and is on the transplant list. And the lady who told us we were amazing was saying that her parents both passed away from liver disease.
It was right at that moment as I was walking back to the car that I was thankful for the gentle nudge from my husband and the difference in the way the server had asked us if we wanted something to drink.
I feel like yet again, this was the way of destiny or my mother, aunt and grandmother who has passed saying: please make this change for us.
So this morning instead of saying I’ve had a relapse I’m able to say I am 11 days sober. I realize how bad the triggers can be and I just got to say 5 more minutes, 5 more minutes.
I got the courage up just now to take a selfie so here YA GO! KEEP ON KEEPING ON MY FELLOW SOBER

FRIENDS!

23 Likes

Thats a great story and well done both of you. Ive only just found out there are 2 vancouvers! :rofl:

3 Likes

Atta girl! So very proud of you! Keep fighting.

2 Likes