AA and binge drinking

So I can go months and months without alcohol and the minute I have some I dont stop tell I’ve gone to bed or blacked out. I dont want to sound stupid but is AA also good for people like that as well?

2 Likes

I was a binge drinker for many many years… until I turned into an everyday, all day drinker. But I know I was an alcoholic from the first sip of Vodka I had at 16. I am in AA and it has helped me so much! There are several binge drinkers at my meetings.

3 Likes

i’m in the same boat, i did look at meetings today in my area but i’m reluctant as well. i’ve been to meetings as a support system for someone i used to be close with so i can gauge a bit what a meeting is like and i’m on the fence as well.

1 Like

The only requirement for membership is the desire to stop drinking. You could only drink one day a year, but if you want to stop doing that you could go. AA has made me a better person in all areas of my life by working the steps.

2 Likes

Alcoholics Anonymous has what’s called “the Twelve Traditions”. It’s the closest thing to “rules” we have. The Third Tradition states “the ONLY requirement for membership is the desire to stop drinking”.

I yelled ONLY cuz it truly is the one and only thing required. The desire to stop. So it doesn’t matter how much or how often you drink. You will be welcomed at AA. All you gotta do is show up:)

3 Likes

Yes, I was pretty much like that, once you start you can’t stop but you go days,weeks, sometimes even months without in between binges and because you go without you trick yourself in to thinking it’s OK again.

Then you take the first drink and the timebomb starts ticking and it doesn’t take long for things to explode.

AA can help you, no two alcoholics are the same, but we all have a problem with alcohol therefore we can understand what you are going through.

I wish you well.

3 Likes

AA is good for ANYONE who has a desire to stop drinking. :slight_smile: You will be welcomed with open arms!

2 Likes

You’ve heard it already, but, “the only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking”!

Also, if you like coffee that helps lol. :grinning:

So glad I found this thread! I am thinking of going to an AA meeting next week. When I decided to stop drinking I thought I would like to try and hit a year sober then see if I can moderate. Maybe I could, I don’t know. But to be honest now I’m on this path I feel like I might as well see it through.

Forever seems a bit daunting so I thought AA might be a good place to build a sober network and keep on the right track for the long term.

Did you try it in the end @Fluttersz12 ?

Forever is very daunting. I definitely cannot say that I won’t drink forever. Hell the only thing I know that I will do every day for the rest of my life is breath air. Going to AA has taught me to take sobriety 1 day at a time. It’s a lot easier to not drink for 24 hours, especially when I sleep for 7 of those hours.

3 Likes

Ha, good point, I guess I mean really make a commitment to sobriety rather than giving it a break with the intention of somehow magically being able to drink normally afterwards.

I’m a bit worried about not being a ‘proper alcoholic’, my drinking never really got me into terrible shit and I never drank every day. But as above I know the only requirement is a desire not to drink, I tick that box so it’s worth a shot.

1 Like

Hey it’s a good thing you haven’t had all those negative consequences.

I don’t know if you can appreciate how helpful it is to hear (read) that. Thank you.