AA for athiest

These are some very good points. I am close to a few people who believe in God to varying degrees, while I believe in the spirituality of energy. We have zero issues with one another’s beliefs, mostly because none of us can prove the other is wrong and we accept that. At the end of the day, we don’t care who is right because as @Mephistopheles has brought up, we are all just following our moral compass. We are living our best lives to the best of our abilities and always trying to improve.

2 Likes

I really don’t care whether there is a “God” or a “higher power” or someone believes a rock in the garden is god.

As long as it keeps me sober I’ll keep doing what is recommended and pray to a god of my understanding- and I still don’t know what it is but it’s working

1 Like

But did you have to copy and paste the whole chapter Daz?? :rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Yep- I just wanted to sit here with the satisfaction that people are having to scroll down for ages :joy::joy:

6 Likes

It is a God OF YOUR UNDERSTANDING. Worship your favorite pair of boots, if you like. Youre just meant to realize a comfortability in surrendering to something bigger than you. That’s all. Youre welcome to have faith in whatever you want. Lots of atheists attend AA. :wink:

2 Likes

If you would like to read a little about how this has developed for me, you can find it here: First AA meeting in one hour

3 Likes

I didnt care about god when i first went to meetings i wanted to stay sober , used to make exscuse long before this when my wife asked me to stop because i didnt ? wish you well

1 Like

I used to say the same thing as i am an athiest. Most of the aa meetings ive been to are about 5 mins of prayer at the end. There are smart meetings ive heard but aa meetings are just more readily available where i live. I just go for what i need it for. Some meetings arent as religion based. Though i am considering not calling myself an athiest and just being me. Atheism is almost a religion in itself and they seem to shun other peoples beliefs. Thats not what im about so hearing about religion doesnt bother me.

1 Like

I’m new here and new to not drinking. 18 days new. I’m interested in the support and concept of AA but have yet to attend a meeting.
As a lifelong agnostic and a believer of personal responsibility and accountability, I firmly believe that I am the one who made the choice to drink and I also believe in my own power to stop drinking.
God has very little to do with any of this. For me.
Does anyone else feel the same?
Are there support groups that focus on a similar ideology?
I’d love to hear anyone’s suggestions.

5 Likes

There are more and more atheist/agnostic/free thinker AA groups around. There are at least three in my neck of the woods.

It can be very difficult for some of us to separate religion from spirituality. And there are many groups with a long custom of incorporating religion, in particular the “Lord’s Prayer” as a fundamental component of the meeting format.

Generally, I can get along with revising the language of the readings in my head during a meeting. I have a definitively non-religious conception of a higher power. It started with two elements - the people in AA who obviously know how to stay sober when I did not, and the Department of Corrections who told me where to go and what to do with consequences for failing to comply. My concept has progressed now to an acknowledgement that there is a super-human or post-human essence to our being, a universal force that flows throughout all beings, all planets, all time and space. I think of it by identifying myself as an organelle in a cell in an organ in a body in a culture on a planet, etc etc etc. I am a tiny part of a whole, and that whole is what so often has been perceived through a skewed lens to result in sectarian interpretations that allow no tolerance for other views.

Anyhow, the AA program works just fine for atheists and agnostics who want to maintain their philosophical basis. I hope you find some like minded folk.

Blessings on your house :pray: - which is another way of saying that if you are open to the universe, it will reveal itself to you.

7 Likes

I am an atheist in AA - there are many of us. If you are interested, perhaps consider setting a goal to check out a few different meetings and see if there is anything said that jives with you.

There are many topics on this subject on this forum - here is a similar one ongoing at this time: AA for athiest

You can check out other threads on this topic by using the search function (magnifying glass).

3 Likes

And if you would like to read a little about my journey in AA, you can find it here: First AA meeting in one hour

1 Like

I think I’m likely misreading this, but I have to say your comment struck me as vaguely condescending, especially as someone who believes that I can do (and am doing) this sobriety thing under my own power. Yes, with support (and I think that might be what OP is asking about), but ultimately this doesn’t work unless I tap into my own inner power. Definitely not trying to disrespect what works for others, but I believe the solution is not outside of me because the core of the problem is not outside of me. Ultimately it is up to me to solve those problems. But hey, life may very well prove that I have no idea what I’m talking about. Lord knows it wouldn’t be the first time!

5 Likes

Congrats on 18 days, that’s good shit right there. Keep it going, it’s a journey. Much respect.

3 Likes

[Removed by @System]

6 Likes

Got it. Thanks for the reply. I think it was the brevity of your initial post that struck me as being similar to an eye-rolling emoji. I don’t mean to hijack OPs thread though, so I’ll take my leave.

3 Likes

Another conversation about AA and a non-religious take on higher powers and recovery in general here:

And there are lots of useful resources (programmes, podcasts, books, websites) here:

4 Likes

Thank you for the additional comments and perspective.
I will share my thoughts from my life perspective as well. As with life in general, I believe there are multiple paths to success.

I would not say that I’m horrible at orchestrating my life nor has my life become unmanageable.
In a successful entrepreneur, I’m in a stable relationship with an amazing human, and have a beautiful life in nearly every way. And for these things I am fortunate and blessed. Im grateful for everything I have.

That being said, I have gotten to the point that consuming 2-4 drinks every night ‘religiously’ is not something I wish to continue.
And so I have stopped.
I have never tried to stop before but then I have never wanted to stop either.
This is a new journey for me. I don’t yet know if I will succeed on my own but I’m going to try.

My agnosticism applies really to structured religion. I do believe in a Universal or Source Energy, from which we all derive.
I believe this Universe gives be back in kind that which I project. In that sense, I suppose I believe the Universe can also heal me but in an arms-length transaction type of way.
I hope that makes sense.

I thank you again for your comments! And a thanks to everyone else too.
I’m very interested in how we are all managing this, everyone’s different journey and the alternative paths to success.

6 Likes

Thank you for sharing!

2 Likes

I don’t do AA and am not a religious person. I am sober almost 3 years after a drinking career of 40+ years. I don’t believe God has anything to do with me drinking or not. I do believe I am responsible for my drinking or not drinking. I am also not powerless over alcohol. I am powerful in my resolve not to drink.

There are many paths to recovery. Finding the path that truly works and resonates for you is what is important. Try AA if you want or don’t. Try SMART or Refuge Recovery or other programs or involve yourself in online programs. So many resources are available to us all.

Reading a lot on here can be very helpful as well. And congrats on your 18 days…stick with it!!

8 Likes