First AA meeting in one hour

Today is my 20th day without alcohol. This morning I’m skipping the gym but got up early with the intention of going to my first AA meeting. I’m nervous and it’s a huge psychological step for me to really be honest with myself. I think I’m ready but I’m scared and in fact just burst into tears writing this.
Any words of encouragement to help me stay motivated to get through the door in an hour?

20 Likes

Remember that the people there are just like you. They’re not a group of people sitting around judging whomever walks through the door. Everyone there is trying to make their life better. They have all been where you have been and many of them know how to get out of that place.
If you don’t feel like talking you don’t have to.
When I went through the doors of my first 12 step meeting I was so afraid. I just went so I could tell my wife I did it.
When I left I felt 10000x better.

6 Likes

Congratulations! That’s an amazing step.

I was nervous before my first meeting too. Really, I just didn’t think about it too much! One foot in front of the other, till I found myself there :joy:

Once you’re inside, it’s OK. People are there to share and listen - plus, people are always a bit more focused on themselves over others. Nobody will stare or make you feel uncomfortable. Everyone’s just trying to get through the day too :grin:

Let us know how it goes x

3 Likes

Good luck and hope it goes ok. Everybody is so welcoming and friendly. There is usually a lot of sober veterans there too who can pass on their wisdom

2 Likes

Congrats on 20 days! Going to that meeting will be one of the best things you ever do for yourself. First one us so tough to go to, but once you do it gets exponentially easier

3 Likes

Get through the door buddy. I remember by first meeting and man I was nervous before that. Just know that all those people know what you’re feeling cause they’re living it/lived it.

2 Likes

I made it with one foot in front of the other. It was very emotional but everyone was kind and welcoming and encouraging. Thanks everyone for the support and encouragement this morning - I really needed it. :two_hearts::two_hearts:

8 Likes

Oh that’s great. Well done for taking this step

1 Like

I went to my first meeting when I was 90 day sober. It was f@#king awesome. Completely changed my mindset. Now I am 670 day sober.

5 Likes

Wow, that’s an inspiring number of days. Whenever I see someone with more days than me, it makes me realise that I can do this and I’m not alone.
I’m contemplating going to another meeting during my lunch break…

2 Likes

It’s scary but the gold comes is getting out of your comfort zone. How did it go?

2 Likes

Hey! That’s what I’m doing during my lunch break too! I like where your head is at.

1 Like

There was (and still is) a Barred Owl in the tree by the front door at work this morning. I’m taking it as an omen…

6 Likes

I have been with other people but never completely for myself… You are brave! And please share your experience

1 Like

People that overcome addiction are some of the brightest beacons of hope. They have suffered emotionally like no others in our world. They have an understanding, and level of forgiveness and compassion that very few do in our societies. No matter where you are in your recovery, be proud that you are healing yourself mentally, emotionally and physically. Pay your gifts forward!

Do what ever you must to heal!

4 Likes

AA is the way! The only way to keep me sober and sane. For me, the fellowship is the ticket.

1 Like

How did it go?!
I attend AA and it has really helped me stay sober. Once I started having an open mind, willing to go, got honest, and looked for the similarities and not differences, things changed for me.
Hope it went well!

3 Likes

Thanks everyone for so much encouragement. I’ve now been to two meetings today - before work and during lunch break. I was so touched by the kindness and how welcoming everyone was. I even got my white chip. Feeling lots of emotion right now, as I’m at an important cross road that I haven’t ever had the honesty and courage and strength to even step up to. But now I’m here. It’s rather surreal, to be honest.

11 Likes

Kudos amd welcome to the fellowship. It works but you have to work it.

2 Likes

Outstanding accomplishment. I look so forward to going now!

2 Likes