AA meetings and what to know

Can only say it worked for me. Over two years sober and couldn’t muster a day before.

Like anything, ya get what you put in I imagine. I’d say only as was told to me, listen for the similarities, not the differences. You’ll hear something.

At any rate, what have ya got to lose? Worst case scenario ya listen to some folks gabbing for an hour.

6 Likes

Yes thank you, my closest next meeting is on tuesday, I’m hoping i can stay sober until then and almost be off it a week, and then build from there.

2 Likes

I agree with @Eke; you’re looking for something to help you maybe keep you accountable; there’s over 2 million people in AA so it does work for those who really want to quit.
There’s so many programs out there now there’s no reason not to try and find one that suits you.
Good luck, John! Read around here too…

5 Likes

Yes thank you, I feel better already by finding this hreat app, and friendly helpful people, part of alcohol abuse is feeling alone but its great you can share on here

3 Likes

It’s really hard at the beginning; it was for me anyway, but once I got to where I really liked being without alcohol in my body/mind it’s a no brainer. It really is just a waste of time, money and for our bodies.
:slight_smile:

4 Likes

As Donna just said, it’s not easy at the start, you’re nervous, anxious etc. but you will be welcomed :slight_smile:

As Eke said you’ll identify with more people there than you think too.

Read and post here if you get cravings, it’s a great place to be also.

4 Likes

Also, there is always someone here, tis worldwide don’t ya know :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

There are many meetings on zoom, so you could find a zoom meeting 24/7 if you wanted, anywhere in the world.

5 Likes

Oh also you can listen to AA meetings on youtube; and there’s also some famous people who speak at a speaker’s meeting~!

4 Likes

I know a lot of people who have benefited from AA meetings. It is not for everyone, and although I am not a great fan of the 12 step programme, as some other people see it, I have been going for years and I find just talking and sharing with other people who want to quit meetings is great. There are alternatives and there is a thread on resources for recovery on this site (see below). Also ,although alcohol is the main obsession of my addictive self, I have preferred to go to CA meetings in some areas. They welcome alcoholics as they are for recovery from any mind altering substance. Best to try a few groups and decide which you are comfortable with and who you think will help you. :pray:

3 Likes

It will work if you want it to work.:+1:

3 Likes

There are 24/7 zoom meetings and I believe it is posted in the online meetings thread that is pinned. If you can’t find it, I am happy to re-post. Also, you could google AA and wherever you are located, and they should be able to point you to local meetings that might be zoom. My homegroup has meetings twice a day. AA is a major part of my journey, even though I don’t have a sponsor. The meetings and readings are helpful for me. Glad you are here.

2 Likes

i love them. they are a huge part of my recovery. HUGE. and if you dont like the first one, go again the next day. and again. (in the rooms) :heart:

2 Likes

It was the only thing that got me sober. The best advice I can give you is to remember meetings are like shoes. Try different groups, times and days until you find the ones you like. Don’t worry about sharing right away. Let it come naturally. The best thing you can do at first is shut the fuck up and listen. Dont get rushed into getting a sponsor, starting step work or anything like that. Do it at your own pace. I would get a Big Book early though and read it. It helps to understand the purpose of the program and meetings better. At least for me it did. Keep going. I did 90 meetings my first 90 days and I dont regret it at all. Best thing I ever did. Good luck my friend.

2 Likes

Words can’t describe how much AA has helped me. Even if you just go and listen. There was a sense of belonging, for me. The Big Book has helped me get to know myself. It made me realize how much of a problem I had and how unmanageable things had truly become. I know that I can always count on the rooms of AA to help me through without drinking…

2 Likes

saved my life and sober over 34 years YES AA DOES WORK wish you well

4 Likes

It works if you put in the work. I don’t show up to meetings and magically get sober. I got a sponsor and worked the steps. Meetings are great, but the true program is in the steps

2 Likes

34 years you have my respect sir, outstanding, thank you

1 Like

If the closest in-person meeting is on Tuesday I would suggest trying a Zoom meeting through here or In the Rooms

1 Like

Saved my life too. +15 years sober.

4 Likes