AA, scientific knowledge, and lack thereof

I am doing this without AA. Admittedly, I did not read the article and I likely won’t. I think programs are great for some people starting out but not always. I mainly like the idea of sponsors to reach out to and the way they make you think about things differently. I have found myself wondering at times if I’m missing out on something by not following the program but for me personally (and this approach is NOT for everyone) I feel that once I sort my spiritual self out, the addiction weeds itself out. It’s worked so far! I’m working on me and being the best version I can possibly be and my addiction has zero place in that. Not one good thing will come from having one drink and I stay with it for that reason. We’ve got this any way it works for us! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh and, Amanda, I loved that you used people’s names when responding! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You have been a strong force since you started on this forum. I got really lucky to have my original sober sisters be you and @Jammie. I have enjoyed watching you grow, and your strength in sobriety as you’ve met so many very hard challenges is inspirational. You are someone who gives me hope I can do this without AA.

1 Like

You’re still my sober sistah, one beer didn’t change that! I have also thoroughly enjoyed watching you and everyone else on this forum grow as well the challenges we have faced as I learn from each one of them. I super love the celebrating of victories! It’s a lovely place with amazing people in here. I took a few days off and quickly decided that was a bad idea. I was cocky and I craved alcohol in a time of grief and stress and I got talked down by someone here. Thank God they checked in on me and knocked my ass back where I needed to be. This keeps it in the forefront of my mind that I need to consciously keep adding one more day, every day. 13 more and I’ll be in triple digits! :slight_smile:

1 Like

For anyone who’s interested in knowing more about different treatment programs and MD their effectivess:

This article refers to a scientific journal article that I have a copy of. If anyone wants to see it, let me know. It also refers to the article at the start of this thread.

1 Like

I’m definitely going to read the Carr books! I’m really obsessed with reading about recovery right now. I’m in a book club here in town with my friends, and I haven’t read a single one of those books since I started sobriety, because I’ve been reading about recovery. I have two books going right now!

12 steps works no matter people said. Maybe doesn’t work for everybody but it is a FACT that thousands of people had abandoned completely alcohol and bad habits.
In my humble opinion what infuriates scientists or bad scientists is the word God

I should update in here now as I’ve changed my opinion in the last month. I got my SMART recovery book in the mail yesterday and I think that is going to be a great fit for me! It works by looking at your behaviors, recognizing them and changing them. It does a lot more but that’s more what is drawing me in personally. I love it so far! I realized I still had some things to work on for myself and so I looked into programs and this is the one I picked to start with.

1 Like

That’s awesome. I liked SMART because it can be applied to many addictions or addictive patterns, though I’m sure AA can too. You never know, I may try that too by the end! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Exactly. I’m stubborn but there has been a few times my cravings or thought process has caught me off guard. And that made me realize I really needed more than just my will work thru this easier and work on myself as that’s truly what recovery is all about for me. Whatever it takes!

1 Like

Yes!! I agree with that, I personally love that I’m getting better at getting better with some of the coolest people ever in here! It makes me feel blessed and thankful. Especially that we can each do it in our own way and at the end of the day no matter what approach we take, we are still in it together.

1 Like

Excuse me. How did you get the SMART book? Is there an official web page? Could I get it in Spain? Thanks

Marijuana is not the Exception in comparison to Narcotic & Alcohol abuse/ addiction…

I am addicted to Weed

I currently attend meetings. Years of sobriety there. It’s nice to meet people face to face!

1 Like

It’s not crazy, doing something over and over again while knowing it’s destructive is called insanity :wink:

1 Like

Yea glad your doing ok , this share was started in 2017 and im still working the program of AA and im still sober coming up for 36 years , it would be nice to hear how the people who wernt using a program are getting on i hope they are still sober and thriving i wish them well

3 Likes