AA Step 4 How to get started?

I’m trying to get started on my Step 4 but still kind of stuck on how to get started. I do have a Sponsor and will be discussing this with him later but just wanted to see if anyone had some suggestions. I’m not afraid to do it and absolutely know if I want to remain sober I will need to. Just can’t seem to get started out.

1 Like

@Mephistopheles @Farmer. The Big Book actually has an example. Im just having trouble trying to apply it to myself. It’s almost like writer’s block. And the reason Im trying to be diligent in doing this correctly is that I have had success with AA in the past but have eventually ended up out there again. I know that it was due to me not working the program given to me NOT because the program doesn’t work. I never bothered to do Step 4 any of those times so I want to make sure I give it my all. My sponsor suggested that I start out with all of the people I have resenments towards. The first that came into mind were my ex Wife and Father. I did have some resentment towards them but it doesn’t seem to be there anymore. Ive never really been a vengeful person. When I was drinking I was always the “friendly” drunk. Ive been fortunate to have had a close relationship with my Higher Power even when I was not sober. So it has been easier to turn alot of things over to Him that I would be doing in Step 4. Resentment, Fear, Anger. Now I will not have any problem with the upcoming steps admitting to another person all of my past and how screwed up I have been or trying to make amends to those I have hurt. Those are the ones people really struggle with because they are face to face and not just on paper so I guess Im fortunate in that sense. I will be getting with my sponsor later so we can sit down and discuss it. U just want to be as honest as I can. Im tired of playing games. This is as serious as it gets for me in the sobriety journey. Thank you.

2 Likes

Thats what a sponsors for they will guide you .dont overthink take your time . there is a AA form on here thats were you should be asking , nothing against anyone just that most of the people there like Rain666 have done the steps and others have the experience you ask about . but i wish you well

1 Like

What helped me get started was writing down the old conflicts that I pondered when I would drink.

3 Likes

@Mephistopheles @SinceIAwoke @Bootz @Ray_M_C_Laren @Farmer Thanks everyone for the insight. Yes I will be talkung to my sponsor at the meeting tonight I’ll repost on this thread to lead you know how it is going. Meanwhile going to have a Blessed, Serene and Sober Saturday ! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Update : Got with my sponsor today and not only finished my 4th Step but also completed the 5th with him as well. THAT’S what sponsors are for. Moving forward !

2 Likes

congratulations, how you feeling?

1 Like

Feeling good with it. I have a great sponsor because he has a great sponsor. His sponsor is someone that I admire as well. 6,7 and 8 will be no problem. I have no reservations about making a list of the people that I have hurt because I do realize how messed up I was. Also Step 9 is important to me. It will give the chance to try and make things right with the people I love the most. My Mom and ESPECIALLY my Daughter.

2 Likes

I’ve had some amazing experiences with some of my amends. I’m so happy for you.
There is a difference between being sober and living sober isn’t there :+1:

1 Like

Most definitely. Ive been in and out of the program over the years because I didnt go beyond Step 3 and just got plain lazy. At this point in my life now I just want to be done with the nightmare and all the wreckage it creates. I go to my group meeting every night. Monday through Friday I drive straight from work to there no matter how tired or dirty I am. And guess what ? I love it ! They are my second family now. Wanting it bad makes all the difference in the world.

2 Likes