Activities that help you stay sober!

Hey, let’s talk here. What good activities can replace craving of alcohol.

Walking
Gym
Movies
Coding
Learning new courses
Books

Let’s tell yours

2 Likes

My plan:
Cooking
Gardening (no idea what I’m doing but thinking of a vegetable garden!)
Interior design/upcycling
Reading
Exercise/losing weight

2 Likes

My plan is, im from IT background, planning to learn new skills and boost career.

Planning do own blog :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Reading, working puzzles, going to meetings, and cooking.:star2::star2::star2::star2:

3 Likes

The possibilities are endless for me now that I am sober. However, activities and distractions did not get me sober. They are things I get to enjoy now that I am sober.

The activities I did to get sober were going meeting, participating in IOP, getting a a sponsor and working the steps. They weren’t really activities so much as they were work. And the work has definitely paid off!

11 Likes

Main Activity for me in early sobriety was meetings , everything else came later when i got a few months under my belt. today my gardening and guitar and PS4 and my travels keep me busy

5 Likes

Picking up musical instruments and playing again…even if it’s just a few minutes a day. It does wonders for my sanity.

1 Like

I have some I can add….
Listening to podcasts
Returning to playing musical instruments
Listening to music and building playlists
Coming to TS every day, to read, post, encourage others, seek encouragement
Meditation, either alone or with apps.

1 Like

Hah! Just read this. What do you play?

1 Like

I agree. But still, some things made it easier and got me out of bed:

• getting a dog
  • trading crypto
  • daily gratitude excersize
1 Like

Mostly piano and keyboards. I also have a bass guitar :guitar: I pick up and plunk around on sometimes.

1 Like

Cool! For me it’s piano and keyboard, dulcimer, occasionally ukulele. It is certainly a tonic for me too.

2 Likes

I forgot to mention that maybe we could change the title of this thread, as the way it appears now, we are looking to replace activities WITH AlCOHOL, :laughing::laughing: when we really are looking to replace alcohol with activities!

2 Likes

This is what I thought when I saw the thread. Everything and anything!

2 Likes

Since I drank all day long, from 16 to 33 yrs old, everything I did was associated with booze.

So I started a list at age 33 1/2 yrs old: 1st time fishing sober, 1st time bowling sober, 1st time dating sober, 1st time attending a pro sports game sober, etc. etc. etc.

A way for me to keep gratitude up front !!

1 Like

I changed thread title:)

Brilliant! Thanks!

1 Like

Following… today ive done a lot of self loathing and blending with the cough… I’ll get through it. Maybe tomorrow I’ll paint :blush: