Acts of Kindness

Today is World Kindness Day. In my Daily Calm meditation, Tamara Levitt said that when we witness acts of kindness, it is as if we experience them ourselves. I am starting this thread to remind me to be mindful of acts of kindness I experience, as well as encouraging me to commit to doing regular acts of kindness, for myself as well as for others. It would be great to hear about other people’s experiences too, kindness you’ve given or kindness you’ve received.

6 Likes

When I do something unconditionally and if the person thanks me; I tell them that it is a selfish act because it makes me feel good.

2 Likes

I find this really interesting, it’s something I have thought about a lot. Is there such a thing as a selfless act?

In the end I think the main thing that matters is that something is done with good intentions and it ends up benefitting the recipient!

2 Likes

A couple of small kindnesses from my colleagues today but ones I have really appreciated.

My dog was sick last week and I left work early to go and see her. Our director asked after her which I thought was really sweet.

Another colleague sent me details of an event coming up around tackling food waste because she knows I’m interested in that sort of thing. It’s so nice that she thought of me.

When somebody helps me on the other hand, whether conditionally or unconditionally, I never think that they have an agenda. I just think how nice they are.
Here I am, not even drinking, trying to sort a philosophical question, lol.

1 Like

Ugh tell me about holding yourself to a different standard than others. Something I am working on. Checking my ego a bit and also giving myself a break.

Being kind to yourself is also important!

3 Likes

Today I took my boss’s dog for a walk. I wouldn’t normally count that as an act of kindness because I go for a walk in my lunch break anyway, and I love dogs, but because the way the day worked out I took my break earlier than usual. So when I went out with the dog it was an extra half an hour unpaid.

I’m so glad I did though because she spread so much joy! There was a family with a little boy who had learning difficulties and he loved meeting her. Lots of bored office workers appreciated her saying hello too, even the one where she was very intently staring at his lunch :see_no_evil:

3 Likes

At yoga this evening my teacher said that I’m looking amazing, really full of light. I don’t really feel it right at this moment but that made me appreciate it even more. He knows I’ve been on a bit of a journey this year and it was just lovely of him.

It reminded me that simple but personal complements can make a big difference. So easy to do too. I will be looking for opportunities to give them to other people tomorrow!

3 Likes

I haven’t given any complements yet. I haven’t found the right situations. At work next week I will thank my colleagues for helping me with a meeting I had on Friday, they were all really welcoming to my guest.

I have received an act of kindness today. My neighbour was doing some work in his front garden and offered to do some in mine too which is much appreciated.

I feel like I find it easier to think of kindnesses to people I’m less connected to than those close to me. That’s not very good :see_no_evil: I have been feeling a bit disconnected from my boyfriend recently, we’re both very busy and stressed with our own things. I’m going to make a (sugar free!) desert later as he likes sweet treats. Hopefully he will enjoy it.

Went out for lunch with a colleague today. She is so kind. Like she just says lovely stuff that makes you feel really good about yourself. She asks questions and seems genuinely interested. I have learnt how to navigate some sober situations from her, she’s great at getting people to open up and feel at ease.

I am better at acts of kindness than words of kindness. It’s something to work on as kind words are so nice to hear. But anyway. Boyfriend had a super long day at work today so I made sure there was some dinner waiting for him and tidied up after - normally if one cooks the other cleans. Just a small thing but a kind thing nonetheless.

1 Like

A couple of things.

I volunteer at a soup kitchen and there’s so much kindness going on there, it’s incredible. There’s a young couple who have been sleeping rough for a while, dealing with various addictions which have stopped them engaging with the local services (forgetting/missing appointments etc). But last night they had a room in a hotel waiting for them courtesy of a couple of charities while they get something more official sorted. As well as the kindness of the volunteers and donors etc, they were being really kind to each other in a way I just haven’t seen before. Them being sober seems to be giving them the ability to support each other better. Just lovely. And one of the volunteers at the soul kitchen baked a beautiful cake for one of the ladies who comes along to the kitchen as it was her birthday.

This morning I was walking to yoga class and the field opposite my house had rubbish everywhere. I was picking some bits up and another lady came and helped out too.

2 Likes

This is more an act of kindness I WANT to do. I recently read about a volunteer group in Scotland called ‘MealMakers’. People volunteer to make an extra meal then take it to an elderly person in the local area and spend the evening with them. Usually its someone who is lonely or has lost a spouse or may be recently disabled. I really want to get involved in something like this but can’t find anything locally and … i’m not the kind of person who would even know where to start with starting something like that myself. So if anyone does know a way I could begin this act of kindness please let me know!

3 Likes

There is a very similar program where I live called “Meals on Wheels.”. I know folks who volunteer and some who are recipients. It’s a truly wonderful thing for everyone involved.

2 Likes

Best places to start would be local GP who may know of any schemes going on. AgeUK would be another good place - I know they do befriending schemes (which doesn’t include the meal bit, but I don’t see any reason you couldn’t cook something for someone!). Let us know how you get on! :grin:

Great idea! Thanks!