Acupuncture, Anxiety and Alcohol

So, before I get into the main reason for this post, I feel that I need to provide a little back story, so hang in with me…

I have been struggling with anxiety and depression all through high school and college during which time I was on different medications and had been in therapy for 7 years. When I graduated from college, I left a severely toxic, long term relationship, moved back home, and had successfully worked through everything from the past that I needed to in therapy. When I moved back home, I was in such an amazing place (not counting when I was not sober, unfortunately) - but in general I actually never knew I had the ability to be genuinely happy.

Unfortunately, about a year and a half after I moved home, October 11, 2016, I was raped by a married friend of my boyfriends and mine which set me back on the path of self destruction and despair. My anxiety and depression came back full force. I started therapy again, specifically to deal with that situation but a friend also suggested I go to acupuncture.

Well, I can say acupuncture has completely changed my life, so much so that I’m actually going to pursue it as a career and start schooling for it within the next year. Not only has it helped me significantly with my anxiety but also with alcohol cravings. I highly recommend acupuncture to anyone who may be looking for extra alternatives to help with cravings of addiction. I just had another session today and it gave me the boost of strength I needed to continue through the week sober, healthy, and happy.

I’m open to any questions regarding my personal experience with acupuncture and alcohol.

3 Likes

I’ve thought about trying that but was always nervous :grimacing:

Honestly, I thought it was something I would never do. It freaked me out. But I got to such a low point and after talking to a friend who told me her daughter went for anxiety and depression and had enormous success with it, I decided to give it a shot. I am severely wigged out by needles but it doesn’t hurt at all, the needles are super fine, about as thin as a piece of hair. It has completely changed my life, first with dealing with my anxiety/depression and now with alcohol. I have never felt so passionate about anything I’ve ever done in my life.

Is there a specific type of acupuncture you should look into? Any recommendations?

Well I’m sold now I need to find a place to go. If I can get my stress level down to get rid of these tension headaches I will be most grateful. Thx for the info.

1 Like

So, the acupuncturist I go to treats a variety of problems, from physical pain to emotional pain and addictions. It might be good to find an acupuncturist who specializes with addictions. Another thing I will say, my acupuncturist is very gentle and light handed, he also puts on relaxing music and lights lavender incense (for me specially because it helps me a lot); I have heard some people get turned off with acupuncture because the person is not as gentle as they should be or not as personable as they should be. As with any type of health professional, whether it be therapist, acupuncturist, or doctor, you have to find someone you mesh with.

You’re welcome!! Yes, acupuncture can help with tension headaches, sinus problems, migraines, and other physical pain!

Thx for the info BrookieB. Keep up the great job on sobriety.

1 Like