Adderall and Alcohol (TW: discussion of prescription adderall use)

Backstory: i definitely have/had a negative relationship with alcohol. I used to drink at night, alone, and was up to a bottle/bottle and a half every night so i stopped just to see if i could. I stopped drinking for all of 2023 (minus 6 days in September) and started up again in 2024, casually. I drank a few days in Jan, less than half the days of Feb and every day in March up until the 7th. I felt myself ramping up to what it used to be like and my 30th birthday was on the 9th so i decided to go sober for another year. I gravitate towards alcohol because it quiets my mind. This brings me to the adhd.

So I have had heavy heavy suspicions that i have adhd for many years now. It has taken many years for my psychiatrist and GP to get on board because they chose to treat the depression and anxiety instead of what i believed to be the underlying cause. Finally, my psychiatrist decided to switch dosages and meds because things have not been optimal for a long time. I have been on Adderall for a week now. He says to take it every week day and take a break on the weekends but im not keen on taking stimulants that often, in addition to having a different schedule than most, so i take 5mg on Fridays, 10 on Sat and Sun, 5 on Monday and then take Tues, Wed, and Thurs off.

However, the whole point of this post is since starting the medicine i have not had a single craving for alcohol. I was watching tom holland talking about his relationship with alcohol on twitter the other day and realized i have not thought about alcohol for over a week, whereas normally its at least 1x a day but usually a lot more. Even when i didnt drink for 1 year (approx) i thought about it, choosing to not drink each day. Since starting the adderall it has not been on my mind and i realized that it is because adderall gives me the quiet i was always craving (but never actually achieved) from alcohol.

Even on days i do not take adderall i have no interest in alcohol because now i know what real peace feels like and that it will not come from alcohol and never has. This may be another form of pink clouding but with this revelation i feel much for confident in my sobriety and my new adhd diagnosis.

I dont know if this is a common thing or others with adhd have experienced this but i am still stunned by it and thought i would share and see if any others can relate. Thanks and much love :slight_smile:

Genie

3 Likes

I’m so happy for you :blush: I know exactly how this feels. I’ve never been officially diagnosed or prescribed adderall (my brother was), but I used to get it ‘for fun’, except it just made me realize that I have ADD. I wondered if other people actually think like that all the time. It’s a luxury those people don’t know they have. I know it’s the reason I drank. My brother too. Alcohol slows you down. After a year sober, I can honestly say that I was able to be more productive while drinking. My mind gets in the way too much now. I know everything that needs to get done, and how to do it, but I just can’t get started. If I do, it’s usually on more than one thing and nothing gets finished in the end. I know being medicated would improve my life tenfold, but I’m also worried I’d end up abusing it. I remember someone mentioning a non addictive alternative that gave pretty similar results. Idk. Maybe I’ll begin that journey one day. Anyway. I’m happy you’ve found some peace :peace_symbol::purple_heart:

2 Likes