Addicted to TV?

I have been feeling sad lately. Last night I realised that I might be in the early phases of Netflix/TV addiction. I have been watching more and more lately. I just removed my Netflix account, so I’ll see if it helps me feel better or not. I decided not to stop Netflix completely. Since I’m still in an early phase, I believe I can watch it moderately. I will watch a max of 1 movie if a friend comes over or when I visit one. I will watch the second season of umbrella academy, but only one episode each day when it is released. I won’t stop watching cable tv since I don’t have any issues with that and because there almost never is anything fun on there. If I do somehow get trouble with it, I’ll stop watching regular tv too.
This is a controversial approach. I recommend no one experimenting with moderate use since it tends to end up with a relapse

1 Like

No, there’s constant rain. I will probably cycle 60km to save my mom €17,08 on traintickets.

1 Like

Yeaaahh, tv and shows are very addictive. Maybe the problem at your stage is less that you can’t stop the behaviour, than that you use it as an escape in place of your gaming? I don’t know how involved you are in looking into the reasons why you get into addictive behaviours, any by god you are young, you have a lot of time to explore that, but I’d maybe start an introspective approach as well as limiting Screentime.
Kudos for your vigilance and self-observation btw! Really commendable! Wish you the best and let us know how it goes re the TV watching! My dad also uses TV like a drug, and my sister and me learning this behaviour from him. Sad, really.

1 Like

I was born with an obsessive character. The early stages of my life were awful. I want to get rid of emotions unconsciously. Those are the main reasons I get addicted

1 Like

Yes this makes sense, of course. At the same time, this is very general and probably true for most addicts. By all means, don’t feel obliged to go into too much detail here, but I meant looking and feeling specifically for you, in your emotional and biographical life so to speak , what is going on, or was, that you are not dealing with but trying to shut out. Again, this doesnt necessarily belong here, it’s your private stuff.
I have experienced addiction hopping (do others call it this aswell?! :thinking:) myself, going to overeating, also binge watching shite, shopping etc. It just means I’m still struggling with the same underlying problems in my psyche. It takes more than getting sober to heal. As I’m very sure you know. :slight_smile: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

There was a lot of stress from my stepdad’s terminal illness lately and his immobility. That stress is gone for a big part now. I haven’t watched Netflix all day and I haven’t craved it yet

always impressed with your self awareness, jan :heart:

i noticed myself feeling down as well and i think it has something to do with the amount of streaming i’m watching. i’m currently binging 2 shows and when i’m done with them, i’m going to wind down screen time :smiley_cat:

1 Like

Same. I’ve been super into watching Netflix since I got sober (30 days today!). The pandemic hasn’t helped because I feel like I can’t really go anywhere.

I’ve given myself a break on it because it’s still 1000% times better than my drinking. But now that my first month is done, I really need to start being less lazy.

So nice timing on the post, thanks for the motivation!

3 Likes