Addicting science!

Great video! Thanks for sharing. Sam Harris is fantastic.

1 Like

RET is very similar to CBT, but as far as I know they grew up separately for the 12 steps. I’d love to read that article though bc I bet there are similarities.

I’ve attended/attend CBT groups for various things and today often wonder if the progenitors were 12 steppers.

2 Likes

I seriously feel like my mind is blown lol. But it makes sense.

1 Like

I’m struggling with AA. There is so much God talk. I get you can make your higher power whatever you like but when people share every other thing is about coming to Jesus, that kinda thing. The prayers haven’t been that adaptable. I feel like I’m sitting in church.

Part of it is my story is nowhere near as bad as average in AA. If I had their lives I’d be on my knees too. I need some sort of accountability but the dramatic nature doesn’t resonate.

I battle depression, that’s the long and short of it. I don’t see addiction, at least mine, as a Spiritual crisis.

4 Likes

I was going to say what @Bootzhas said Brad. It’s not about the differences. It’s about our common issue with control over alcohol.
But I totally understand the whole god thing and expect in the states it can probably get a little too much. But percivere bud.

4 Likes

@Foxtrot Spirituality to me is the neverending process of becoming a better person. It doesn’t have any religious undertones at all. I do this through meditation, which I use to gain better control of my mind and emotions. That helps a lot with recovery.

3 Likes

@Dust Yes I agree. I’m listening to an audiobook right now called “Waking Up a guide to spirituality without religion” by Sam Harris, I would definitely recommend it if you haven’t already read it.

2 Likes

Cool I will check it out, thanks:)

1 Like

@Nullcorp I haven’t been to any meetings yet and I would probably only go if I could find a secular one. To me, wanting to quit my addiction doesn’t need religion or anything like that, I just want to learn to accept my feelings without always trying to react to them, and just consistently make good choices. Leading a sober life isn’t easy, but most things in life worth doing aren’t easy, and what I put in my body and what media I consume matter to me. Unfortunately most people aren’t taught to value their health both mental and physical and it creates an environment that is conducive to addictive behaviour.

I’m here for you Nullcorp, we’ll conquer addictive behaviour through knowledge and understanding and the sheer desire to be better people.

2 Likes

@Nullcorp
There is of course the whole thing here about getting outside your comfort zone. Getting up and going and sitting in a meeting whether it’s AA SMART, whatever and enjoy being in the company of like minded people who are there for the same reason you are. To stop drinking.
I’d not worry about if the terms and words are words you don’t like, surely it’s the collective mindset that is benifitial, whether it’s god, Jesus or the bed post that gets these guys sober, it doesn’t matter.
Open your mind to the idea that there’s something out there that can help. Don’t let a few words get in the way.
Just saying.

5 Likes

Are there any other groups near you? AA or other? From what I’ve seen here the AA experience is different from group to group.

I went to a recovery dharma (formerly refuge recovery, think she groups are still RR) meeting a while ago and liked that. It uses Buddhist principles but you don’t need to be Buddhist. They’ve got lots of online meetings too.

As mentioned above there is also SMART which is not religious.

If not, can you try and approach your group with an enquiring mind? Look for the similarities as above. From reading here I know that while my situation is not nearly as bad as some, I can relate to thought processes and feelings of ‘proper addicts’. It takes some intellectual work to find those thought processes and patterns of behaviour - if it’s helpful to frame it that way for you?

It’s interesting that you say about your depression. When I am depressed I really want there to be something more. Not religious, but meaningful. I will check that Sam Harris book out, thanks @Foxtrot!

5 Likes

@Nullcorp Yeah, those are the real reasons to go, for the group mentality and support, I feel like the religious aspect is left in there from the programs early creation and is now not really necessary. You’re right though that shouldn’t stop anyone from going.

1 Like

So after some time in SA, and now sober since Jan 18 2020. It’s totally possible to be spiritual while being an atheist, and the word spirituality has taken on a new meaning in my life. I’ve met the best, most tolerant people in SA. Their shares and support literally bring me to tears, I feel so lucky to have found the program. I would love to learn more about the science behind the steps, but it ultimately doesn’t matter, the program works if you work it! Just thought I would share.

1 Like