Addiction portrayal in movies and TV shows

Good day all you fantastic humans. I have been toying with the idea of creating a TV show with the primary goal of changing discourse around addiction. I’m in a crowdsourcing phase and I’m wondering what you think about how addiction is shown in movies or TV? What do you like? What don’t you like? What specific aspect of addiction would you like to see covered in a show about addiction? Thank you all in advance for any advice or opinions shared.

3 Likes

Requiem for a Dream is the best closest movie I have seen that is quite uncomfortable to watch. But I’ve seen it a few times. Pretty savage to be honest, but had to keep watching.

1 Like

I read the book in jail. Never seen the movie. I will have to watch it and pay close attention. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

I think they did a great job in Dope Sick portraying how sneaky opiates can be on any individual.
The character Betsy felt closest to home for me. Started off as a back injury and taking as prescribed…and then quickly went downhill from there.

5 Likes

Are you wanting to show addiction or recovery? I have always liked the show Mom. The topics do tend to be more female focused but they would be very open about the whys and how’s of their addiction but always with the positive of their current sober lives. They also cover relapses etc. But it’s always told from a positive lighthearted view. I don’t personally think I could watch a heavy show about addiction on a regular basis. The odd movie now and then I can but not a weekly series.

2 Likes

Dopesick was a real eye opener for me to reality of how self-abuse can begin. People don’t get addicted because they’re “addicts” or “druggies” or a certain class or type of people… it starts well before. it’s usually a case of: people are in some sort of pain, suffering, feelings of unworthiness, feeling unloved, unseen, unheard, mistreated, traumatized and so they turn to drugs and/or alcohol to soothe and numb their pain and suffering, they find an escape…
as they might not know another way; and society glamorizes and celebrates substances like alcohol and makes use of it acceptable, then, before you know it, this unhealthy coping mechanism has turned into addiction / alcoholism. And, then you’re judged, and, in some circumstances, people write you off :frowning: when what you really need is LOVE and support and help. A sense of belonging. Unfortunately though, once in the grips of alcoholism or addiction, it’s hard to accept that love, help and support. For you’ve fallen deep into a dark hole and it’s hard to see the light. The substance has taken control. You are sick and dis-eased now. People in addiction need compassion and understanding. Not punishment and judgement. For they are the lost souls, darkened with fear and sorrow. :heart:

I’d love to also see a show/movie on what life is actually like in recovery. How it can turn around, and yet include many struggles. something that illuminates people struggles from lack of love, belonging, worthiness and what that leads to.
I believe recovery, long term recovery, is like a transformation of/ for the soul. I like the analogy of a caterpillar turning into a butterfly :butterfly:

4 Likes

Never knew there was a book??

Yeah the movie is based on a 1978 novel of the same title.

2 Likes

Yes. More movies about rehab, recovery, etc.

“When a man loves a woman” always resonated with me. I liked how they seemed to go through all the phases of recovery and how much it impacts everyone in a household.

1 Like

Now this film I watched recently…it was very uncomfortable viewing for me again… quite deep…it’s not Illegal drugs…
I have experience of being sectioned in psychiatric hospitals and taking meds under the power of a section …it’s rehap tho… and the anger that is portrayed I related to,
anger and love… disillusionment…not being able to accept what is, …personal responsibility…
It was a raw one for me .

3 Likes

Four Good Days was a good movie about drug addiction and recovery. It also showed exactly how serious drug addiction, withdrawal, and quitting can be.

1 Like

Same for me. Hit home. I cry Everytime watching it.

Michael Imperioli NAILED what addiction looks like as Chris Moltisanti in The Sopranos.

1 Like

Facts! And Tony knew that he would never get it right.

1 Like

I haven’t seen dopesick yet. I definitely have a list now to go study. Thank you for your reply!

I want to show both. I haven’t decided very much about the structure of the show but I do want to show both sides. How hopeless and isolating addiction can be, while also showing how people can recover from it. I want to be real to people’s experiences with addiction and recovery. One thing that bothers me about certain portrayals of addiction is that it seems to be over dramatized. A lot of shows about addiction are either underplaying the seriousness of addiction or they are going over the top with what they show and portray as a normal part of every addiction. Not every persons addiction leads directly to homelessness. I want to be true to peoples real experiences. I want to show the real.

It’s on Hulu

I will check it out maybe over the weekend thank you!

I agree with this. The people I’ve told about getting sober have had interesting reactions. A lot say something like “but I’ve never seen you drunk or out of control” and I’m like yeah of course you haven’t, because I learned a long time ago that that wasn’t worth it. But I drank all day long, every day. All I could think about was the where when and how of drinking, every day. I planned my whole life around it. That is just as bad a problem (or worse) as someone who goes out and gets blackout drunk and does crazy stuff. Most people had no idea I was doing that.

1 Like