Adult children of alcoholics

I just learned about this support group adult children of alcoholics. I went to the library and got one of the books. I found another book there too blackouts remembering the things i drank to forget. I was able to go to sleep early and wake up early. The online support groups are giving me a lot of peace.

That explains so much. Really thankful to find this. I feel like im going in the right directions and being guided. I still have a lot of work to do an im still being selfish and not doing what I should most of the time. But the panic and pain thr emptyness is going away. I always want people in my life but I abandon them or make them abandon me. Just makes a lot of sense now. I think that group can help me learn to love myself. Thank yall I hope you are enjoying your day.

13 Likes

I’ve have also read Blackout. It’s a good read! It sounds like you are putting in lots of work into your recovery, you are doing brilliantly my friend! It’s an honour to be on this journey with you :pray:t2::two_hearts:

2 Likes

Ahhh this is amazing, your not being selfish, your going through your journey yiur way, don’t put so much pressure on yourself, aslong as your not pick up keeping it honest and doing the right things your be A. OK. X

2 Likes

i’m also an adult child and can relate to almost everything on that list! :heart:

2 Likes

So nice to hear you are feeling inspired! You’re doing great things for yourself :white_heart:

2 Likes

Hi, I am also ACOA . . And a alcoholic that gambles when she drinks. I was engaged to a happy alcoholic and hopes that would help but It is my fault not his. I read everything and hope something clicks to help break free from this. . God Bless us all for our persistence !

2 Likes

I’m one also; it takes a lot of a “mindset” change, in my case anyway. Drinking was so normalized for the most part of my life so to look at it differently helps take the power away; it does nothing positive in our lives. And what a huge difference when it’s taken out of the equation!

1 Like

If you’re interested in attending ACA meetings and you can’t find any locally in person, check out intherooms.com.

3 Likes

I might check that out; whenever I try to dig into that I get too scared or freaked out by the stuff that comes up.
Yeah, living with my head in the clouds, lol

3 Likes

I went to one of these meetings a while ago and kept the materials. It was helpful, but I continued doing therapy instead. However, I’m actually planning on attending a zoom meeting again for ACOA this week because I can’t afford therapy now. If what is being said resonates with you, I would try attending a meeting. They have a lot of meetings available.

3 Likes