Advertising on the Sober Time App

My name is Brook, i’m an alcoholic, drug addict and sex addict. I have 3 years of sobriety so have been on the app for a while now.

It’s come to my attention that some of the ads when using talking sober are for an app called Bigo Live. I’ve just had a provocafive ad come up where some girl talks about chatting to girls on the app if you are lonely. Not exactly something I am stoked about seeing as an addict.

Admins…can anyone let me know how this is happening and who signed off on this?

2 Likes

The ads are not controlled by Robin. I’ve actually asked this before. I think he can try and limit them but I’m not sure he’s able to. A few years ago I was upset that a really bad for profit rehab was advertising here.

Myself I don’t even pay attention to the ads all that much so I’m not sure what they are.

Thanks for your response. Yeah i mean i’d love to say i could just pass them off, but clearly for a sex addict its a trigger i’d rather not deal with. Next i’m gonna be seeing ads for Jameson and Dry come up :joy:

I mean you see the problem with that though right? Having to pay to get rid of trigger related ads is f*#@$ked. This app is meant to be a safe space.

1 Like

Here is more info from Robin on advertising.

2 Likes

Honestly, possibly one of the most horrible comments i have come across on the app and i’ve seen some low ones.

Apparently the ads are targeted in relation to your search history and interests
I whole heartedly disagree with this……

I always get ads for
“meet hot old women in your local area”

:roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Telling an addict that the reason they are being triggered is their problem and they should do more work on themselves is nasty mate. This is meant to be a supportive place and you clearly are just on here to throw your weight around.

3 Likes

Dan531 posted a link above discussing ads. We will ask @robin if there is another category he can disable or block ads for Bigo Live.

Topic closed due to unproductive/spiraling back and forth.